The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 31, 2020, 08:01:44 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 31, 2020, 07:07:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2020, 12:02:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 30, 2020, 10:26:17 PM
Seems crazy that they're going to fall on their sword like this for Trump and not even vote for witnesses. The last poll I saw had even 70% of Republicans in favor of witnesses.

That's not falling on the sword.  That's protecting their interests.  Why would they want witnesses?  They don't need more evidence that they need to ignore.
They're going to suffer for this decision in November

They'll make up for it in Russian and federal government help.
DOJ suddenly opening investigations into their opponents, hackers compromising their systems, etc.

Hilarious, but not at all unlikely.   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

And a brand new idiom from Trump as reported in CNN:

QuoteAs his impeachment trial continued into the night, President Trump in Iowa attacked Rep. Adam Schiff, the lead impeachment manager from the House.

"Shifty Schiff is a very sick person," the President told the crowd in Des Moines.

"He lies awake at night shifting and turning. Shifting," Trump said, turning his arm in circles. "Shifting and turning in his bed, sweating like a dog."

Trump then launched into a very animated impression of Schiff, crying, "'How am I going to get him? How am I going to get him, he didn't do anything wrong!'"

"Oh what a sick guy he is," the President said to cheers and laughs from the crowd.

So... :unsure:  That means he doesn't sweat at all?  :unsure:  Or, just sweats a tiny bit out of his hands and feet, and is otherwise completely dry?  :unsure:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2020, 10:35:38 PM
Is it possible the Democrats have been stonewalling on Hunter to increase his value as trade bait?  Like get a two for one?  That would be devilish clever.

I don't get why the republicans don't want witnesses. They can invite Bolton, who is going to say what he is going to say regardless of whether he is called to testify, and then they can invite people like Hunter Biden and maybe even explore the Hillary angle that Cruz brought up.  :lol:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Seems crazy that they're going to fall on their sword like this for Trump and not even vote for witnesses. The last poll I saw had even 70% of Republicans in favor of witnesses.

That's not falling on the sword.  That's protecting their interests.  Why would they want witnesses?  They don't need more evidence that they need to ignore.

I doubt it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

We'll see. Any who might be trouble for this, I suspect have already hedged and weaseled around it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on January 31, 2020, 09:53:26 AM
I don't get why the republicans don't want witnesses. They can invite Bolton, who is going to say what he is going to say regardless of whether he is called to testify, and then they can invite people like Hunter Biden and maybe even explore the Hillary angle that Cruz brought up.  :lol:

The Republicans don't want witnesses because they know that they'd get nothing from Hunter Biden.  Bringing him in means bringing him in front of Chief Justice Roberts, who isn't going to allow the kinds of fishing expeditions that would be necessary to get HB to say anything of use to the Republicans (even assuming that he has anything that would be of use to them). 

If Bolton isn't under oath, the Republicans can dismiss the truth as "just trying to sell a book."  If he IS under oath, then they would be obliged to consider his testimony when reaching a verdict.

The key to the Republicans escaping this bind is to make sure that the truth remains hidden.  They have to face the voters soon, and an OJ-like acquittal isn't going to sit well with those voters.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Minsky Moment

Alexander's reasoning is consistent if horrifying in its implications.  Murkowski's statement OTOH makes zero sense.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Murkowski was right about Elizabeth Warren asking a dumbass question.

Habbaku

What did she ask? I have no doubt it was stupid, mind.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Something like, given the low trust the American public has for institutions like the Supreme Court, do you think Chief Justice Roberts actions here are lowering that trust even further.

Habbaku

Statements as questions are really stupid.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

There's that, but that was 90% of the "questions" asked.  What got me about Warren's was she was screaming at a ref who had called one foul on the GOP and none on her team.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 31, 2020, 02:28:40 PM
Alexander's reasoning is consistent if horrifying in its implications.  Murkowski's statement OTOH makes zero sense.

If nothing else, the impeachment has caused many Republicans to admit they want an all-powerful President.  I never thought I would say it, but we are moving towards elected despotism.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on January 31, 2020, 03:13:18 PM
What did she ask? I have no doubt it was stupid, mind.

Quote"At a time when large majorities of Americans have lost faith in government, does the fact that the Chief Justice is presiding over an impeachment trial in which Republican senators have thus far refused to allow witnesses or evidence contribute to the loss of legitimacy of the Chief Justice, the Supreme Court, and the Constitution?"

That was indeed idiotic.  The Chief Justice is doing what he is constitutionally mandated to do.  Carrying out that office does not bring him, the Court or the Constitution into disrepute.