The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

So, there are now tapes of Trump giving orders to those weird little Russian guys that Trump denies knowing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 23, 2020, 07:00:14 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 23, 2020, 06:49:34 PMI don't know what the Democratic party will become.

They don't either.
Yeah. I've no idea for the Democrats.

I was listening to a podcast on the history of the politics of abortion which was fascinating. And they were saying it was useful because of how it showed how contingent these very fixed political trenches and views are. They didn't think there could be a great switcheroo of parties and positions like - as they argued - occurred in roughly 72 to 82. But part of me wonders if we're at the start of a similar era of big tectonic shifts and, in twenty years time, we'll look back in disbelief that it was ever any other way.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Ugh...even if the impeachment wasn't DoA, Schiff is such an ineloquent dope that his closing arguments could kill a plausible case.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 25, 2020, 06:04:35 AM
Ugh...even if the impeachment wasn't DoA, Schiff is such an ineloquent dope that his closing arguments could kill a plausible case.

:huh:

Everyone's been praising his performance, even GOP partisans who are absolutely going to vote to acquit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 25, 2020, 08:19:04 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 25, 2020, 06:04:35 AM

:huh:

Everyone's been praising his performance, even GOP partisans who are absolutely going to vote to acquit.

Not sure why Tonitrus expects excitement from a Senate hearing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Look we are just going through the motions in this Senate hearing. We are just getting all the shit Trump did in the record and sounding the alarm about his abuse of power. We know this is going nowhere as far as convicting him.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

And yet Trump's approval is at 43.1% today. It has not moved the needle at all.

I guess Hillary was right about the basket of deplorables.

FunkMonk

In some sense the court of public opinion has already judged Donald Trump's impeachment. That's part of his persona. Everyone has a strong opinion of him. No one cares about the Senate trial and no one is watching the Senate trial because everyone already has formed their own verdict, and everyone knows this Senate won't vote to convict.

The real trial is in November.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 26, 2020, 03:20:24 PM
In some sense the court of public opinion has already judged Donald Trump's impeachment. That's part of his persona. Everyone has a strong opinion of him. No one cares about the Senate trial and no one is watching the Senate trial because everyone already has formed their own verdict, and everyone knows this Senate won't vote to convict.

The real trial is in November.

Its a good point.  And especially since there will be no evidence.  It is all just argument, opinion and political judgments.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 03:32:20 PM
Really though, Bernie Saunders as the Democratic candidate is about the only way Trump gets re-elected.

Trump will likely get re-elected no matter what.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 26, 2020, 03:28:54 PM
Its a good point.  And especially since there will be no evidence.  It is all just argument, opinion and political judgments.

There is an enormous amount of evidence. The House filed their trial record yesterday. 

The irony is that only evidence that is missing is the evidence that in theory could establish Trump's defense.  I.e. the only defense that could conceivably exist is that Mulvaney and his OMB deputies went completely rogue and ordered impoundment of funds on their own initiative without Presidential authorization.  Of course that didn't happen which is why we are the Alice in Wonderland position of the prosecution demanding the evidence about Trump's defense, while the defense seeks desparately to hide the only evidence that could conceivably substantiate their position.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson