The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 23, 2020, 05:00:42 PM
And, with that being said, I have yet to meet "moderate" conservatives who are debating voting for Trump. Conservatives that I meet are already firmly in the camp - in for a penny, in for a pound. Maybe there are on Languish, but I don't think the board's profile is a representative demographics.

It's not conservatives - but rather those middle class white voters in the midwest.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 05:09:07 PM
It's not conservatives - but rather those middle class white voters in the midwest.

Those, I have met. And the sort of speech that Sanders give is far from being anathema to them. Sanders is certainly more "readable" to them, than most other Democratic candidates.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Who is this Saunders guy you keep posting about BB?

:P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 23, 2020, 03:50:20 PM
I see Trump's reelection as a very real possibility, regardless of who gets the Democratic nomination.
Agree. Trump's got a good economy and no wars - that the Democrats is a remarkable indication of how divisive/unpopular he is.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sanders won though. I always think one President tends to be a reaction to the previous and I can certain see a Trump-Sanders reaction.

QuoteIt's not conservatives - but rather those middle class white voters in the midwest.
I think Sanders and Biden are both the re-build the red wall/working class candidates. I think Buttigieg and Warren are the ones who are going for the college educated, middle class white vote. So I'm not sure that matters necessarily.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

And, with that being said, I have yet to meet "moderate" conservatives who are debating voting for Trump. Conservatives that I meet are already firmly in the camp - in for a penny, in for a pound. Maybe there are on Languish, but I don't think the board's profile is a representative demographics.

I know a bunch of people in that camp, although I admit they may not be highly representative.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2020, 05:59:19 PM
I think Buttigieg and Warren are the ones who are going for the college educated, middle class white vote.

Buttigieg's ads are trying to position him as the guy who cares about midwestern working class folks.

Sheilbh

The problem with the moderate message, is always that it is way harder to define clearly, and way harder to find a good candidate capable of spinning it into a clear, positive trait (FWIW, I think Mayor Pete did that well). I think Biden would be horrible at this - much like Hilary was the worse possible candidate to oppose Trump. Not because of lack of skill, but rather because she was fighting the previous war.
I also think like Hilary - and this is unfair on him - Biden would have an issue drawing a moral contrast on corruption with Trump.
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 04:14:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 23, 2020, 04:04:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 04:01:55 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 23, 2020, 03:58:22 PM
I think Biden rocks Trump. Even if all the negatives about Biden are true (he is too old, too senile, low energy, not all that honest and maybe even with some corrupt family members), they are far more true of Trump.

Biden would destroy Trump in the general.

Not if the Justice Department charges him with something.

The Trump Justice Department charging Biden with a crime would be fantastic for Biden.  "Look how afraid Trump is of me!"  It would just emphasize how destructive Trump has been.

Being charged with a crime is never a positive for anyone.  A bunch of people will only know that Biden was VP and is now under indictment.  That is the whole point of the impeachment thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I would go further than Oex and say there is no going back.  This is the new normal.  I don't know what this new era of American politics portends, but the era we all lived through for the last four decades is over.  The Republican party is now a nationalist party.  I don't know what the Democratic party will become.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 23, 2020, 06:03:22 PM

I know a bunch of people in that camp, although I admit they may not be highly representative.

FWIW, I'd still say that I'm the most conservative poster here, and I think I've made it quite clear that I'll never vote for Trump.  Though I don't consider myself a "moderate" conservative, whatever that means (and I'm sure no 2 posters here would say it means the same thing).

Barrister

Quote from: dps on January 23, 2020, 10:14:08 PM
FWIW, I'd still say that I'm the most conservative poster here, and I think I've made it quite clear that I'll never vote for Trump.  Though I don't consider myself a "moderate" conservative, whatever that means (and I'm sure no 2 posters here would say it means the same thing).

:yeahright:

dps

Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2020, 10:37:44 AM

Care to elaborate on that "yeahright"?  Are you suggesting that you're more conservative than I am (which I'll agree isn't unreasonable) or is there something else in my post you are skeptical about?  If you think I actually did vote for Trump in 2016 you may be confusing me with derspiess.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on January 24, 2020, 12:18:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2020, 10:37:44 AM

Care to elaborate on that "yeahright"?  Are you suggesting that you're more conservative than I am (which I'll agree isn't unreasonable) or is there something else in my post you are skeptical about?  If you think I actually did vote for Trump in 2016 you may be confusing me with derspiess.

No you're got it.  I'm challenging your claim to be the most conservative poster on Languish.   :elvis: