The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Okay, here's what I don't understand.  Why go to all this trouble to fire an ambassador?  Ambassadors serve at the pleasure of the president.  Trump could have fired her at any time.  Why go through this whole thing of discrediting her and, apparently, stalking her?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 16, 2020, 10:04:14 PM
Okay, here's what I don't understand.  Why go to all this trouble to fire an ambassador?  Ambassadors serve at the pleasure of the president.  Trump could have fired her at any time.  Why go through this whole thing of discrediting her and, apparently, stalking her?

Because he enjoys doing nasty stuff, he is after all a bully; he gets off on that sort of behaviour.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Trump was trying to pressure Yovanovitch into making the case for withholding the funds and promoting the investigation.  He wanted a tethered goat in case his actions became public.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on January 16, 2020, 01:10:22 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 16, 2020, 12:46:09 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on January 16, 2020, 12:28:23 PM
The trial begins. 

Two of three presidential impeachments in American history have happened in our lifetimes. Three if we include Nixon, who resigned before inevitable impeachment. And a future Democratic president is almost assuredly going to get impeached should the Rs ever have a majority in the House again.

The long road of American democracy bends toward failure.

yeah, it's gonna reach a point where "impeachment" will be a matter of course. The only unpredictablility will be how soon after inauguration will proceedings begin.

And as long as the the Senate majority belongs to the presidential party, then that presdident will not be removed from office.

America is broken.

I don't know why you would say that.  Bush 43 wasn't impeached despite how much certain democrats loathed him.  Obama wasn't impeached despite how much certain republicans loathed him.

The Clinton impeachment scared politicians from both parties off from impeachment - Clinton emerged even stronger after the impeachment.  Now in Trump we're seeing that despite overwhelming evidence of corruption and crimes, Trump is not suffering any political hit.

If Trump is acquitted on a more-or-less party line vote it's hard to see how any President would be successfully impeached ever.

I'm saying it's broken because, I'm saying that althought the Clinton and Trump impeachments are legit, I'm convinced that this is the start of impeachment becoming a normal ritual in a president's term. wait and see ... and as long as the president's party controls the senate, the president will never be removed from office. The US democracy is broken because it's very partisan these days.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

I agree.  "Only" half of presidents getting impeached is not a healthy system.

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2020, 11:08:07 PM
He wanted a tethered goat in case his actions became public.

I doubt his mind operates with that level of strategery.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Bill Clinton's case was sui generis.  As for Trump, if we keep electing people like him as President, then we can certainly expect much higher impeachment rates.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Yeah. It's fascinating really. Trumpys act so proud about how trump doesn't obey the rules and all that. Like he has discovered something new in saying he just won't keep his end of agreements and will follow underhand business practices in his job as president.
Somewhere over the years we've totally lost sight of the fact that rules and standards exist for a reason. That you can't just piss all over the system and get away with it completely.

But of course he will generally. As the system is stupid.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HisMajestyBOB

If future Republicans don't want to be impeached, maybe they shouldn't break the law?

Or change the law so that the President is the law.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Probably not the best choices, I shouldn't think. 

Alan Dershowitz is past it and closely linked to Jeffrey Epstein, his pal and Rape Island sponsor.

Ken Starr is a better choice but so nakedly partisan that nothing he says will be taken seriously except by the other nakedly partisan types, so he's be preaching to the choir.  Plus, of course, the gross hypocrisy of his arguing that a president should be impeached and removed over a blowjob, but not over a willful violation of the law he is sworn to uphold, and an attempt to cover that up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Alan Dershowitz's last 3 most famous clients were Jeffrey Epstein, Julian Assange and Harvey Weinstein so Trump is joining prestigious company.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2020, 09:57:00 AM
I agree.  "Only" half of presidents getting impeached is not a healthy system.
I would say "only" half of presidents elected being impeachable is not a healthy system