The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 24, 2019, 01:21:52 AM
There is zero chance 20 Senate Republicans vote to convict.

This is what Raz said?

Admiral Yi

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_110519/

I'm wondering if this is what Raz was trying to get at.  Monmouth survey results. Question 4A.

"Can you think of anything that Trump could do, or fail to do, in his term as president that would make you disapprove of the job he is doing, or not?"

62% of those who support Trump responded no.

On the other hand 70% of those who oppose Trump also said no when asked if there's anything he could do that would make them approve of the job he is doing.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2019, 05:24:12 AM
https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_110519/

I'm wondering if this is what Raz was trying to get at.  Monmouth survey results. Question 4A.

"Can you think of anything that Trump could do, or fail to do, in his term as president that would make you disapprove of the job he is doing, or not?"

62% of those who support Trump responded no.

On the other hand 70% of those who oppose Trump also said no when asked if there's anything he could do that would make them approve of the job he is doing.
I don't think there is an equivalence.  It seems reasonable to write someone off after a certain point, there is nothing that Larry Nassar can do that would make me change my mind about him.  On the other hand, there is no person that I would still hold in regard if they do something that Nassar did.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on December 24, 2019, 07:33:41 AM
I don't think there is an equivalence.  It seems reasonable to write someone off after a certain point, there is nothing that Larry Nassar can do that would make me change my mind about him.  On the other hand, there is no person that I would still hold in regard if they do something that Nassar did.

That was my first that as well.  My second thought was, what if Trump has a come to Jesus moment on the road to Damascus, admits he has been totally wrong about everything, promises to live the rest of his life as a Nelson Mandela or a Mohandas Gandhi, and carries through on the promise?  Would you still disapprove of him?

Frankly I think it's a crummy survey question. 

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2019, 08:06:28 AM
Lindsey Graham.

You need at least one more for a plural.  Plus, only one Republican bragging that nothing will change his mind still leaves open the possibility of a game changer.

Eddie Teach

Anyway, Graham has changed his mind on Trump before.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Yeah if Donald was visited by the ghosts of presidents past, present, and future tonight and woke up a totally different guy on Christmas morning I might approve of him, but that kind of supernatural help is unlikely to happen.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2019, 03:52:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2019, 08:06:28 AM
Lindsey Graham.

You need at least one more for a plural.  Plus, only one Republican bragging that nothing will change his mind still leaves open the possibility of a game changer.

I wasn't giving an exhaustive list.  I could also point you to quite a few Republicans in Congress.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2019, 03:49:30 PM

That was my first that as well.  My second thought was, what if Trump has a come to Jesus moment on the road to Damascus, admits he has been totally wrong about everything, promises to live the rest of his life as a Nelson Mandela or a Mohandas Gandhi, and carries through on the promise?  Would you still disapprove of him?

He doesn't have any useful skills that could be put to work for the benefit of mankind, as his whole career has been built on bullshit, bullying and ripping off the ordinary joe.

The best he could do would be confess his sins, repent and go join an monastic order or run a soup kitchen for the homeless.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2019, 03:49:30 PM

But he has already done so much damage. Could he really make up for that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2019, 04:41:04 PM
I wasn't giving an exhaustive list.  I could also point you to quite a few Republicans in Congress.

You were purportedly giving me the flesh and blood non-straw man.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on December 24, 2019, 04:43:39 PM
But he has already done so much damage. Could he really make up for that?

Right, that's the counter-counter argument.

Should approval be based on a stock or a flow of good and bad deeds. :nerd:

It's a fun little thought experiment, but like I said a terrible political survey question.

Admiral Yi

It's a question at its heart about the tension between accountability and redemption.  :pope: