The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: HVC on December 18, 2019, 08:54:21 PM
I'm assuming the senate vote isn't a anonymous thing?
There was some talk of making it that way due to witness tampering/threats from Trump and his team, but it never panned out to anything from what I can tell.  I think it would yield a very different result if it were anonymous.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

HisMajestyBOB

So any bets on what the Senate will do?
Sit on it?
Immediate vote to acquit?
An actual trial?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on December 18, 2019, 12:28:30 AM
Yes, how could that possibly happen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_United_States_elections

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_United_States_presidential_election
The important part of my statement was the three years. Obama was momentarily as unpopular, Trump has been in that 53 to 56 percent zone disapprove for nearly his whole term.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

What an awful system. 2/3 in the senate... have parties ever held so much?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 19, 2019, 12:01:49 AM
Sit on it?
An actual trial?

The Republicans have long become a radical reactionary party and doubled down on Trump. They'll acquit him with record speed.

Admiral Yi

Sit on it?
An actual trial?

Definitely not sit on it.  For one thing McConnel probably wants to get it all done before the Bolton, Mulvaney et al subpoenas make their way through the courts.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on December 19, 2019, 03:46:55 AM
Sit on it?
An actual trial?

The Republicans have long become a radical reactionary party and doubled down on Trump. They'll acquit him with record speed.

I don't know, that might not sit well with moderate voters. If they still exist, that is.

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on December 19, 2019, 05:00:46 AM
Quote from: Tamas on December 19, 2019, 03:46:55 AM
Sit on it?
An actual trial?

I don't know, that might not sit well with moderate voters. If they still exist, that is.

Tribe over nation, mate.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2019, 04:21:11 AM
Sit on it?
An actual trial?

Definitely not sit on it.  For one thing McConnel probably wants to get it all done before the Bolton, Mulvaney et al subpoenas make their way through the courts.

I think McRussian sits on it. He sits on everything & the senators need to go campaign.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 19, 2019, 03:43:47 AMThe important part of my statement was the three years. Obama was momentarily as unpopular, Trump has been in that 53 to 56 percent zone disapprove for nearly his whole term.

That's about where he was when he got elected in 2016. Now he's going to in part run against the House in 2020 for impeaching him and the legislative is always more unpopular than the executive.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2019, 04:21:11 AM
Sit on it?
An actual trial?

Well one option I've heard thrown around is that the House might not immediately send it to the Senate - that Pelosi might sit on it.  This would be a means of leverage to try and ensure fair terms of a trial in the Senate.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.