The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 08, 2019, 06:44:29 PM
Collins, Gardner, Tillis and McSally are pretty vulnerable. If a democrat wins the presidency, going three out of four among them doesn't seem that unlikely.

tainted
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

This whole thing has been discouraging.  It is depressing that the entire Republican party has decided that soliciting aid from a foreign country is fine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 09, 2019, 10:36:16 PM
This whole thing has been discouraging.  It is depressing that the entire Republican party has decided that soliciting aid from a foreign country is fine.

Oh it would be the highest of outrages if Hillary did it. It is starting to get stupid. It is like the law is just a tool to stop us, not something that matters in itself.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaCntDx4V_0

I was watching this CNN blah blah blah talking heads clip and learned something about the Clinton impeachment trial (in the Senate) that I did not know, and which helps to make that Trump tweet about "actual live witnesses" a little more understandable.

I didn't watch any of the Clinton hearings/trial, but these guys say in the Senate there were four witnesses, they were all deposed "off campus" with some Senators present, and then these depositions were played on big TVs to the whole Senate.  So I guess Trump is saying that way of doing it is no good.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2019, 03:36:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaCntDx4V_0

I was watching this CNN blah blah blah talking heads clip and learned something about the Clinton impeachment trial (in the Senate) that I did not know, and which helps to make that Trump tweet about "actual live witnesses" a little more understandable.

I didn't watch any of the Clinton hearings/trial, but these guys say in the Senate there were four witnesses, they were all deposed "off campus" with some Senators present, and then these depositions were played on big TVs to the whole Senate.  So I guess Trump is saying that way of doing it is no good.

Dems would love to have live witnesses testify. It's McConnel and the GOP senate who wisely don't want that to happen.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Based on the testimony of the Inspector General, there are some people involved in the FISA warrants that are in some serious trouble.  But he is taking pains the distinguish the decision to investigate with the investigative process - it is the process he found had significant flaws.

The Minsky Moment

Barr is not well placed to criticize aggressive FISA applications given his antics in the early 90s.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 11, 2019, 03:55:49 PM
Barr is not well placed to criticize aggressive FISA applications given his antics in the early 90s.

No but Horowitz is and he has referred one person for criminal investigation - probably the person who altered the email.

The Minsky Moment

Fun to play the game of which parts came from Trump ("the very ugly word, impeachment") and grown-ups familiar with the adult use of the English language ("The Articles of Impeachment introduced in the House Judiciary Committee are not recognizable under any standard of Constitutional theory, interpretations or jurisprudence").
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

God, I hate this.  I know Trump won't be removed, and will probably be reelected.  I still believe it was the right thing to do, but it feels like we're at Balaclava and Lord Raglan just gave us the fatal order.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I thought it was interesting that he committed to paper the assertion that the greasy Ukrainian attorney general was the one trying to drain the swamp of Hunter's illicit Burisma activities.

Also still stunned that House Democrats made zero effort to debunk this myth during the hearings.

The Minsky Moment

Big strategic mistake not to push the subpoenas.

Pelosi agrees with Raz, thinks impeachment is charging the guns, hence her strategy to have to done and long gone from the news by the time Iowa caucuses roll around.

--Joan Robinson

frunk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 17, 2019, 11:19:04 PM
Big strategic mistake not to push the subpoenas.

Pelosi agrees with Raz, thinks impeachment is charging the guns, hence her strategy to have to done and long gone from the news by the time Iowa caucuses roll around.

It feels like a half-hearted effort, the same way they approached the Mueller report.  There's plenty of more dirt there, but they aren't bothering to do the work.  Getting the subpoenas would be a big part of that. 

They are approaching it as if the only thing that matters is if it changes public opinion.  "Did starting the impeachment flip people against Trump?  No?  OK, wrap it up and move on."  Meanwhile it's thoroughly obvious that there's tons of more damaging information there, which they aren't bothering with.