The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2019, 05:09:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2019, 05:07:11 PM
NPR is airing live.

What I don't understand is how Fox News can get away with not broadcasting this stuff live.  I mean sure, have your talking heads be all negative about it, but to just pretend it isn't happening?

It's harder to deny something when it you capture it on live television.  The Fox News response to the Mulveny admission was to claim that it was taken out of context by evil media figures, and not to share their tapes to on television.  You wouldn't think a thing like that would work, but four decades of claiming media bias made it possible.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

This could be fucking magical, especially if he demands to testify himself

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1202383863240114176
QuoteA top White House official said Wednesday that Pres. Trump is demanding a full trial, featuring live witnesses in the Senate chamber if and when the House sends over articles of impeachment to the Senate later this month. https://
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 04, 2019, 10:29:57 PM
Featuring live witnesses? :unsure:

Dead witnesses tell no tales.  There will be a mysterious outbreak of food poisoning that will kill off Trump's cabinet and staff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Is this the brilliant idea to keep Warren and Sanders in the Senate all the time that our master strategist Legbiter recommended? Being on TV all the time flinging metaphorical darts at Trump won't help them at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2019, 11:12:46 PMBeing on TV all the time flinging metaphorical darts at Trump won't help them at all.

;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Legbiter, I've been thinking about your "hype" comment and what it means.  Care to elaborate?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Legbiter on December 05, 2019, 05:01:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 04, 2019, 11:12:46 PMBeing on TV all the time flinging metaphorical darts at Trump won't help them at all.

;)

Really don't see how this helps Mitch in the senate. Blue or swing state senators vote to acquit and they'll have big turn out against them ala 2018. They vote to convict and they'll get primaried by fanatics and either lose to them or lose in the general because the base doesn't turn out.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on December 05, 2019, 05:01:41 PM

;)

Yep.  Moscow Mitch is going to keep the 23 Republicans who are desperate to defend their seats in Washington along with the 13 equivalent Democrats.  He's stupid enough to lose the Senate while not helping Trump at all.  With Friends like Mitch, the teabaggers need no enemies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

So is there actual hope of the Senate flipping to Dems? When is the next election?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Solmyr on December 06, 2019, 02:35:47 AM
So is there actual hope of the Senate flipping to Dems? When is the next election?

They need 3 if they win the presidency, 4 if they don't. 23 Republican seats are up, only 13 Democratic seats. November 2020.

1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2019, 03:09:39 AM

They need 3 if they win the presidency, 4 if they don't. 23 Republican seats are up, only 13 Democratic seats. November 2020.

The Democrats would basically need to run the table.  If you imagine an environment where the overall national mood is Democrats by about 7 points (slightly under 2018), it could happen.  Some context:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/were-checking-in-on-all-those-2020-senate-races-a-few-gop-incumbents-look-vulnerable/

Valmy

Actual? Yes. Likely? No. The main problem is that Doug Jones was incredibly lucky in Alabama and lightening is unlikely to strike twice (though with the current state of the Republicans you never know...) so the Democrats are almost certain to lose one. So in order to win control the Democrats have to sweep the five reasonably contested seats.

But unlike in 2018 the seats that are up are at least mostly Republican.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

Quote from: ulmont on December 06, 2019, 10:29:23 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2019, 03:09:39 AM

The Democrats would basically need to run the table.  If you imagine an environment where the overall national mood is Democrats by about 7 points (slightly under 2018), it could happen.  Some context:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/were-checking-in-on-all-those-2020-senate-races-a-few-gop-incumbents-look-vulnerable/

Collins, Gardner, Tillis and McSally are pretty vulnerable. If a democrat wins the presidency, going three out of four among them doesn't seem that unlikely.

1 Karma Chameleon point