The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 22, 2019, 11:55:21 PM
They're all complicit

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/22/politics/nunes-vienna-trip-ukrainian-prosecutor-biden/index.html

Quote(CNN)A lawyer for an indicted associate of Rudy Giuliani tells CNN that his client is willing to tell Congress about meetings the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee had in Vienna last year with a former Ukrainian prosecutor to discuss digging up dirt on Joe Biden.

The attorney, Joseph A. Bondy, represents Lev Parnas, the recently indicted Soviet-born American who worked with Giuliani to push claims of Democratic corruption in Ukraine. Bondy said that Parnas was told directly by the former Ukrainian official that he met last year in Vienna with Rep. Devin Nunes.

"Mr. Parnas learned from former Ukrainian Prosecutor General Victor Shokin that Nunes had met with Shokin in Vienna last December," said Bondy.
Shokin was ousted from his position in 2016 after pressure from Western leaders, including then-vice president Biden, over concerns that Shokin was not pursuing corruption cases.

Nunes is one of President Donald Trump's key allies in Congress and has emerged as a staunch defender of the President during the impeachment inquiry, which he has frequently labeled as a "circus." Nunes declined repeated requests for comment.

Sorry, didn't see you posted this first.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2019, 05:03:36 AM
"Yeah, see Benghazi, Fast & Furious etc." - GOP, probably.

And they investigated those things, did they not? Well maybe not Fast & Furious, I was not aware making shitty movies was a crime.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on November 23, 2019, 12:52:02 PM
Withholding aid granted by law for personal gain is a violation of the oath of office.  That's impeachable.  In fact, that's pretty much the definition of "impeachable."

Yep. If that is not an impeachable offense and an abuse of office I don't know what is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

One other fact I think the Democrats have done a poor job of conveying to the American public is that Shokin was in fact impeding the investigation of corruption at Burisma.

Tamas

In fact, that's pretty much the definition of "impeachable."

But there's  no fellatio mentioned anywhere.  :huh:

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on November 24, 2019, 11:00:24 AM
In fact, that's pretty much the definition of "impeachable."

But there's  no fellatio mentioned anywhere.  :huh:

Well, Zelinsky does love Trump's ass.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2019, 03:10:49 PM
From Tyr's neck of the wood too :)

Never heard of her
But a glance at her Wikipedia and :wub:
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

I'm hoping these tapes are wild

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-intelligence-committee-possession-video-audio-recordings-giuliani/story?id=67276448

QuoteThe House Intelligence Committee is in possession of audio and video recordings and photographs provided to the committee by Lev Parnas, an associate of President Donald Trump's personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani, who reportedly played a key role in assisting him in his efforts to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and Ukraine, multiple sources familiar with the matter tell ABC News.

The material submitted to the committee includes audio, video and photos that include Giuliani and Trump. It was unclear what the content depicts and the committees only began accessing the material last week.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Solmyr

Maybe they include Giuliani peeing all over Trump?

DGuller

I wonder if any tape would change the mind of the Trump faithful, no matter what it shows.  If he's on tape chatting with Putin discussing the dismantling of the next US institution, he's just engaging in unconventional diplomacy to drain the swamp.  If he's on tape mocking his faithful supporters as total retards, they'll just say he's very perceptive.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2019, 08:12:38 PM
I was not aware making shitty movies was a crime.
:bash: :angry: :thumbsdown: :blurgh: the first and 4th one are still great movies.  The 5th one is really amusing.  I will not dispute your statement as to the rest of the lot, but I do not appreciate that kind of over-generalization, Sir!!:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on November 26, 2019, 02:04:04 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2019, 08:12:38 PM
I was not aware making shitty movies was a crime.
:bash: :angry: :thumbsdown: :blurgh: the first and 4th one are still great movies.  The 5th one is really amusing.  I will not dispute your statement as to the rest of the lot, but I do not appreciate that kind of over-generalization, Sir!!:P

Bad omen for Fast and Furious movies: Viper likes them!  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on November 23, 2019, 11:21:12 AM
I think this is a pretty good take on this.

And for the record:

Asking the Ukraine to investigate the Bidens:  questionably inappropriate, but not impeachable.  And what makes asking questionable isn't asking them to investigate per se, but the motivation for asking.

Withholding aid:  inappropriate, but not impeachable, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Covering up what happened:  flat out impeachable;  it's straight-up obstruction of justice.  And yes I believe Trump tried (well, is still trying, just without much success) to cover it up.  Which actually makes the other 2 elements seem worse, because if you don't think you did anything wrong, why try to cover it up?
My view, probably unsurprisingly, is this is all impeachable.

I think given the extreme level of power executives have in dealing with foreign policy it's an area where they shouldn't bring domestic politics. That's the price of deference.

Incidentally the CNN poll is interesting. It feels like, like everything else with Trump, it's just flatlining on both sides. But the gender gap on impeachment is really striking.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Withholding aid granted by law for personal gain is a violation of the oath of office.  That's impeachable.  In fact, that's pretty much the definition of "impeachable."

There President has very few unambiguous constitutional obligations, taking "care that the laws be faithfully executed" is one of them.
Not every failure of that obligation is impeachable - when the framers rejected "maladministration" as an impeachment standard, they effectively excused negligent failures.
But a deliberate frustration of the law for an improper motivation is another story.
The President illegally waylaid hundreds of millions of taxpayer money as part of scheme to extort a foreign leader into attacking a US political adversary with a fraudulent criminal investigation. That's impeachable no question.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson