The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2019, 03:44:39 PM
This clip is about Rudy's problematic involvement with a Romanian corruption case, but in passing it mentions that the first American the Romanian greaseball hired was none other than...Hunter Biden. 

And the second one he hired, the one who passed the job on to Rudy was, of all people, former FBI director Louis Freeh.
It's a huge issue in the US and the EU.

We all sneer at Greece or Italy for overt corruption.

But look at the jobs relatives of respectable, clean Western/Northern European politicians get. Or the gigs they do in retirement - whether it's Tony Blair consulting for the Saudis and investment banks, or Gerhard Schroeder, or Helmut Kohl for that matter. Or Jack Straw, former foreign secretary caught advising a fake Chinese company how he could set up an "advisory council" to push for advantageous changes to regulations in Brussels and whose wife joned the board of the company that operated most big airports in the UK, and whose son led the Remain campaign and floats from think tank to think tank.

None of this stuff is against the rules, or illegal. But it's corruption and the people who are paying for it know that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

My fear is the degree of Hunter's greasiness will undercut the clarity of the impeachment inquiry in the eyes of the American public.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2019, 04:33:16 PM
My fear is the degree of Hunter's greasiness will undercut the clarity of the impeachment inquiry in the eyes of the American public.

Yes, it is ironic that Biden gets the "greasy" tag when he walked away from the situation when he saw what it was, and then the President's own lawyer takes the case... and it's Hunter Biden that gets the tag!

Maybe Rudy was there to sell copies of the 12 "very successful books" that Trump is now claiming he wrote.  Trump hasn't even read twelve books once you subtract the coloring books.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Washington Post is reporting that Donaldo asked Barr to publicly announce there was nothing illegal in Ukraine, and that Barr said no thanks.

I picked it up from an otherwise useless CNN clip, so no link.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 07, 2019, 05:59:16 PM
Washington Post is reporting that Donaldo asked Barr to publicly announce there was nothing illegal in Ukraine, and that Barr said no thanks.

I picked it up from an otherwise useless CNN clip, so no link.

Seen that reported as well.  Trump denies making the request.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

The Dems need to approach this as a RICO case. Start flipping bottom-feeders and soon enough you get Guliani, Barr, Sessions to turn. Time is of the essence though.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on November 07, 2019, 11:24:42 PM
The Dems need to approach this as a RICO case. Start flipping bottom-feeders and soon enough you get Guliani, Barr, Sessions to turn. Time is of the essence though.

The thing is, that's exactly what Mueller did.  What do you think happened to Paul Manafort?

Problem is the end result was too complicated for the public to understand, even though it was damning.

That's why the Ukraine story is getting traction: it's so simple.  Trump threatened to hold back military aid to Ukraine unless they investigated his crackpot conspiracy theory, and investigated his political opponent.  He used the Presidency to his personal benefit.  All Republicans can say at this point is "well it's bad, but not impeachment bad".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Like the Charbonneau inquiry?  Or like the (very) long lasting (12 years) investigation of the Liberal Party of Quebec?  Or like the Gommery Inquiry that totally changed the political landscape of Canada and clearly punished the wrongdoers othe Liberal Party?  Or more like that anti Hell's Angels operation that saw most of the charges dropped for most of the accused?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

John Bolton refuses to testify and said that if he were subpoenaed he'd take it to court.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Schiff is spiking potential adverse witnesses, taking them off the table.  They already have more than enough evidence to proceed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2019, 01:08:54 AM
Like the Charbonneau inquiry?  Or like the (very) long lasting (12 years) investigation of the Liberal Party of Quebec?  Or like the Gommery Inquiry that totally changed the political landscape of Canada and clearly punished the wrongdoers othe Liberal Party?  Or more like that anti Hell's Angels operation that saw most of the charges dropped for most of the accused?

You need to stop doing that. The USA is nothing like us.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2019, 08:55:07 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2019, 01:08:54 AM

You need to stop doing that. The USA is nothing like us.
It's similar enough.

RICO inquiry are good to proceed with a criminal investigation that does not depend on public support.
An impeachment is all about political support, because you don't want the target to appear as a victim.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Lately, every time I hear from Lindsey Graham, I'm thinking of Pat Geary.  John McCain must be rolling in his grave thinking about what his comrade has become.