The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on October 31, 2019, 05:33:50 PM
This will be a shit show.

I'm not sure about that. As the truth comes out, I think that Trumps supporters will get more and more isolated as the independent voters start to see the scope and nakedness of Trump's corruption.  You'll be left with the bigots, their totally compromised fellow-travelers, and then against them a vast majority either appalled by the depth of the betrayal or confirmed in their opinion that Trump was never for a minute a suitable candidate for his office.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2019, 06:43:00 PM

I'm not sure about that. As the truth comes out, I think that Trumps supporters will get more and more isolated as the independent voters start to see the scope and nakedness of Trump's corruption.  You'll be left with the bigots, their totally compromised fellow-travelers, and then against them a vast majority either appalled by the depth of the betrayal or confirmed in their opinion that Trump was never for a minute a suitable candidate for his office.

Your faith in humanity is quite touching.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

I was encouraged to learn the other day that Donald is only at 45% approval in Texas, though I don't know how that has moved recently.

I do think the biggest danger is that nothing new emerges in the impeachment inquiry, and the cesspool of retardation that is the American electorate just changes channels.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 31, 2019, 07:11:34 PM
I was encouraged to learn the other day that Donald is only at 45% approval in Texas, though I don't know how that has moved recently.

I do think the biggest danger is that nothing new emerges in the impeachment inquiry, and the cesspool of retardation that is the American electorate just changes channels.

At least one of the witnesses to testify so far have noted that the SECRET/SCI transcripts of the Trump-Zelensky conversation include damning wording that the White house deliberately left out of the memo that supposedly "summarized" that conversation.  It's always the coverup that does the most damage.  The pressure on the WH to declassify the transcript will become unbearable but, of the Democrats are lucky, Trump will pull a Nixon and try to resist revealing the truth until a court orders him to.  Trump could be dangling for months.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on October 31, 2019, 07:03:58 PM

Your faith in humanity is quite touching.
The numbers in quite a few polls seem to be moving in the right direction.

https://twitter.com/PaulBegala/status/1189939381244702721
QuoteNew PA poll from respected
@FandMCollege
shows
@realDonaldTrump
in big trouble.  Approval 35%, re-elect 37%, with 59% ready to vote him out. 57% support impeachment inquiry. Current GOP strategy is not working. But they're doubling down nonetheless.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

So 2% think we should just skip the inquiry and proceed straight to go.  :lol:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2019, 06:38:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2019, 10:28:06 AM
I did not realize the United State Constitution was something Soviet-style.
The Soviets had a constitution and it allowed impeachment.  Most constitutions do.  Most Republican representatives are just smart enough to know their constituents are too stupid to realize that though.

FYP
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Hamilcar

Sophie Scholl

This is what I'm hoping for as well.  This is one of the reasons I think that pursuing impeachment will be a boon for Democrats, win or lose.  That and preserving the integrity of the nation's laws and rules.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

I'm really surprised there hasn't been more assasination attempts over there given the language . I recall just one against a guy playing baseball?
Death threats against politicians seems to be the new normal over here 😔
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Tyr on November 01, 2019, 02:17:19 AM
I'm really surprised there hasn't been more assasination attempts over there given the language . I recall just one against a guy playing baseball?
Death threats against politicians seems to be the new normal over here 😔

Assassinations and the like are a tool of those who believe that they represent a group whose views are a minority opinion, and won't get a say in a fair election.  But over here, extremists on both ends of the spectrum think that they represent a majority view, and figure they'll win in a fair election.

jimmy olsen

This seems like not a good sign for him

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1190221907372789760

QuoteNEW UT/TT POLL: 46% of Texans say congressional impeachment investigations of
@POTUS

@realdonaldtrump
are justified — including 84% of Ds, 13% of Rs, 46% of indies. 42% say not justified https://texastribune.org/2019/11/01/texas-voters-evenly-split-impeachment-donald-trump-uttt-poll-finds/ #txlege #tx2020
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Trump is not popular among the soccer mom set. The Republican strongholds in the suburbs are weakening and that is good for the Democrats in our increasingly urban/suburban state. Or at least it led to a little Democrat surge in the 2018 election.

Granted that might change if the Republicans ever go back to a more traditional candidate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."