The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

They put him there in order to catch him. Brilliant maneuver by our very stable genius President.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2019, 04:26:24 PM
It's interesting. I always thought if he started to try and pressure or politicise the Fed that would possibly be the sort of thing that would cause Republicans in Congress (especially the Senate) to abandon him.

Nope the whole Goldbug/Rand Paul/"audit the Fed" lobby has been co-opted or vanished.  GOP in addition to being the party of unfree trade and giant fiscal deficits is also the soft money party.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2019, 12:52:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 29, 2019, 12:44:21 PM
So apparently the Lt. Col who is testifying today is probably a spy and traitor.  He was born in Ukraine and thus can't be trusted.

If so, that's a pretty big failure by the Trump Whitehouse, since they put the guy in that position. :D

What are your feelings? You used to work in Whitehouse IIRC.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 29, 2019, 02:46:02 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 24, 2019, 04:26:24 PM
It's interesting. I always thought if he started to try and pressure or politicise the Fed that would possibly be the sort of thing that would cause Republicans in Congress (especially the Senate) to abandon him.

Nope the whole Goldbug/Rand Paul/"audit the Fed" lobby has been co-opted or vanished.  GOP in addition to being the party of unfree trade and giant fiscal deficits is also the soft money party.
I don't think there was much co-opting to be had.  Paul types seemed to embrace Russian propaganda and conspiracy theories long before it was fashionable.  The rest of the GOP joined them more than the other way around.

Syt

The Vindman twins, both on the National Security Council. Does that ever cause confusion, I wonder. :hmm:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Republican toadies persist in calling the impeachment procedure a coup.

This is extremely dangerous.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 31, 2019, 07:48:09 AM

I find it difficult to tell how seriously to rate their bullshit.

Will the US have actual political assassinations and the like, stirred up by such rhetoric? Seems quite possible at this point.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

This is also extremely standard.  The Democratic toadies did it for Clinton, and the Republican toadies did it for Nixon.  Toadies are going to toady; they can't help it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Yeah we always hear about how bad it is to use Constitutional methods to check the power of the executive because it is trying to cancel an election and is anti-democratic. I guess because Congress isn't elected or anything? I never understood that logic.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2019, 08:43:14 AM

This is also extremely standard.  The Democratic toadies did it for Clinton, and the Republican toadies did it for Nixon.  Toadies are going to toady; they can't help it.

The question in my mind is whether such rhetoric will have a different effect on impressionable minds this time around. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: grumbler on October 31, 2019, 08:43:14 AM

Do you not see anything different at all from these varying circumstances?
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2019, 08:42:26 AM

I find it difficult to tell how seriously to rate their bullshit.

Will the US have actual political assassinations and the like, stirred up by such rhetoric? Seems quite possible at this point.

Yes, that's a key consideration.

In the UK we've already had a political assassination of an MP, though not clear how much the divisive political debate of the last few years influenced the right wing murder.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"