The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

This is a pretty big break. Seems they were involved in huge campaign violations in order to bribe congressmen to support the ouster of the Ukranian ambassador who wouldn't go along with the Biden conspiracy theories.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

That's incredibly stupid, even for people around Trump.  Congressmen can't get a foreign ambassador fired.  WTF?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on October 11, 2019, 12:16:50 AM
That's incredibly stupid, even for people around Trump.  Congressmen can't get a foreign ambassador fired.  WTF?

The Russian money was trying to buy permission to do a pot operation in the US.  Getting the ambassador fired is separate from that.  That has to do with fucking up Trump's attempt to smear Biden.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Among other things he said that Pelosi is "either really stupid or she's lost it."

Projection much?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 11, 2019, 01:20:36 PM
Among other things he said that Pelosi is "either really stupid or she's lost it."

Projection much?

That's Trump's MO.  He accuses others of things he himself has done.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So the former Ukraine ambassador testified today, in contravention of Trump's direction not to, but in compliance with the House's subpoena.

How many others will follow this lead?

The Minsky Moment

The ones that don't want to get hit with an enforcement action will comply.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

FunkMonk

The Sondland guy, whose texts helped blow this up even more, agreed to testify next week. Also in contravention of the administration's orders.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 11, 2019, 03:17:19 PM

I don't know the precise details of an enforcement action.  I know here refusal to comply with a subpoena can result in your arrest by police and being brought to court in custody.

But in a situation where congress asserts a subpoena is valid, but the President asserts it is not?  Clearly federal law enforcement (FBI, Secret Service) is going to defer to the President's direction.  Other law enforcement though might well just say "eh, let's wait for a court ruling" which could take months.

People voluntarily complying with their subpoena is going to go a long way to getting any impeachment and removal off the ground I think.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 11, 2019, 03:50:41 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 11, 2019, 03:17:19 PM

I don't know the precise details of an enforcement action.  I know here refusal to comply with a subpoena can result in your arrest by police and being brought to court in custody.

But in a situation where congress asserts a subpoena is valid, but the President asserts it is not?  Clearly federal law enforcement (FBI, Secret Service) is going to defer to the President's direction.  Other law enforcement though might well just say "eh, let's wait for a court ruling" which could take months.

People voluntarily complying with their subpoena is going to go a long way to getting any impeachment and removal off the ground I think.

The president doesn't have the power to order a subpoena at least not directly.  He can ask the Justice Department to subpoena someone, but that needs to go through the courts.  Congress does have the power to order a subpoena.  They have the power to fine people for contempt and to jail them.  That hasn't happened in a long time though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

QuoteActing White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney acknowledged Thursday that U.S. military funds to Ukraine were previously withheld at least in part because of a desire to have the Eastern European nation investigate unfounded allegations that foreign countries may have aided Democrats in the 2016 election.

"Did he also mention to me in [the] past the corruption related to the DNC server? Absolutely," Mulvaney said of a conversation he had with President Donald Trump. "No question about that. But that's it, and that's why we held up the money."

Story Continued Below
Mulvaney added: "The look-back to what happened in 2016 certainly was part of the thing that he was worried about in corruption with that nation."

Story Continued Below
Pressed on whether he was describing a quid pro quo with Ukraine, Mulvaney responded that "we do that all the time with foreign policy," and cited the holding back of aid to Northern Triangle countries in an attempt to affect their immigration policies.

"I have news for everybody: Get over it. There's going to be political influence in foreign policy," he said. "That is going to happen. Elections have consequences, and foreign policy is going to change from the Obama administration to the Trump administration."

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/17/mulvaney-confirms-ukraine-aid-2016-probe-050156

Wow.

frunk

We're just on the step where "it's no big deal, everybody does it".

Soon we'll be on to the next scandal and forget about this one.  Can't let there be too much time spent on one.

Valmy

So we should vote for an outsider because the establishment politicians are too corrupt...but he is going to be corrupt anyway because the establishment politicians are corrupt?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."