The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2019, 12:10:49 PM
I am impressed you are surprised. The President could paint the walls of the Oval Office with his own feces at this point and I would just shrug.

That's what he's counting on.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2019, 12:22:20 PM
I am impressed you are surprised. The President could paint the walls of the Oval Office with his own feces at this point and I would just shrug.

Be such an idiot there is no way I would ever consider supporting him in anything?

Well to be fair he achieved that in the 1980s at some point. He has just been running up the score since then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

I really hope someone is making sure the nuclear football stays out of Trump's line of sight.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2019, 12:29:35 PM
Be such an idiot there is no way I would ever consider supporting him in anything?

Counting on a sense of immediate crisis to be muted by our habituation to the outrageous.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 03, 2019, 12:29:35 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2019, 12:22:20 PM

Well to be fair he achieved that in the 1980s at some point. He has just been running up the score since then.

The theory anyway is that his idiocy is a deliberate plan to normalize further idiocy, so instead of agitating to throw him out, good rational people just put up with it, become convinced that fighting the tide of idiocy is pointless and turn away from the struggle. .

Or as the poem puts it:

QuoteThe best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Syt on October 03, 2019, 12:18:30 PM
Stable genius:

"Are you talking to me?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwdwWCSV5_w

Just watched Seth Meyers, he really actually said people think he's a stable genius during that same press conference. :D :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

One of the weirdest aspects of this is that Trump is uniquely vulnerable to criminal investigations in from other countries.  Is he just unable to put two and two together?  He is also on record claiming that the Foreign corrupt practices act is a "horrible law".  The whole thing is surreal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2019, 01:29:59 PM
One of the weirdest aspects of this is that Trump is uniquely vulnerable to criminal investigations in from other countries.  Is he just unable to put two and two together?  He is also on record claiming that the Foreign corrupt practices act is a "horrible law".  The whole thing is surreal.

His go to move has always been to accuse others of doing what he is doing.  It engages the whattabout crowd really well.

garbon

I didn't expect him to so openly engage in behaviour akin to what he is facing an impeachment investigation for.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Is he just unable to put two and two together? 

Correct.  He is not capable of understanding the idea of objective standards of conduct that apply to everyone in the same way.  His mind only understands raw power and influence.  He sees no contradiction or tension in applying one set of rules to others and rejecting the application of the same exact set of rules to himself.  Not only that, isn't capable of understanding why others would find that to be hypocritical.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2019, 01:59:35 PM
I didn't expect him to so openly engage in behaviour akin to what he is facing an impeachment investigation for.

Because you are still making the mistake of assuming he has the mental apparatus of a normal adult human being.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: frunk on October 03, 2019, 01:31:54 PM

His go to move has always been to accuse others of doing what he is doing.  It engages the whattabout crowd really well.
I don't think he sees any difference between the risks he's facing and his New York life with the thousands of suits and counter-suits plus tabloid PR.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: frunk on October 03, 2019, 01:31:54 PM

Incidentally also a default Russian strategy.  If you want to to know what the Russians have done, just listen to what they accuse others of doing.

Josephus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2019, 02:03:17 PM
Is he just unable to put two and two together? 

Correct.  He is not capable of understanding the idea of objective standards of conduct that apply to everyone in the same way.  His mind only understands raw power and influence.  He sees no contradiction or tension in applying one set of rules to others and rejecting the application of the same exact set of rules to himself.  Not only that, isn't capable of understanding why others would find that to be hypocritical.

In short he's a megalomaniac. And it's scary to think he's going to win 2020 as well.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 25, 2019, 06:39:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2019, 12:27:52 PM
Quick question - even if Trump is impeached, there's nothing preventing him from still running in 2020 right?

I believe the senate can ban him from holding federal office again if they actually convicted (they won't)

If they convict, it's not something that they can do;  it's automatic.  See Article 1, Section 2, Clause 7.