The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2019, 05:42:17 PM
Apparently Trump is asking the NRA for money for his legal defence in exchange of blocking gun control legistlation.
The NRA won't do that unless the Russians let them.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 27, 2019, 05:27:11 PM
The latest talking point from the Idiot Party is that it's not a real whistleblower complaint it's "hearsay."  Of course a whistleblower complaint can be based on information learned from others.  "Hearsay" is a set of rules governing how and in what form evidence is admitted into court, it's not an insult or attack on credibility.

I saw plenty of conservatives arguing "Hearsay" during the Greitens thing.  What became immediately apparent that they didn't know what hearsay was.  They seems to think that it was "He said, she said".  I'm not a lawyer, but I still understand what hearsay is and where it is allowed and where it is not. Or at least the basics of that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

I wonder if there is going to be a tipping point inside GOP.  The fact that they protect Trump out of cowardice rather than genuine derangement actually means that this protection can collapse in an instant.  All it would take is an appearance of weakness by Trump.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PDH on September 27, 2019, 05:52:50 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2019, 05:42:17 PM
Apparently Trump is asking the NRA for money for his legal defence in exchange of blocking gun control legistlation.
The NRA won't do that unless the Russians let them.
Yup.
Even the Senate just said the NRA is riddled with Russian assets.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Why would the Russians support the NRA? Haven't they seen Red Dawn?   :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Tons of news came out in the last 24 hours.

1. Trump's administration hid conversations with Putin and MBS in that secret server.

2. Trump told the Russians in 2017 that he wasn't concerned with their election meddling.

3. AG Barr has been in Italy for the last two days, so the DOJ has been flailing around.

4. Pompeo has been subpoenaed.

5. It's been reported that Mitch encouraged Trump to release the transcript. Doubtless he expected Trump to edit out the crimes. Trump might blame him for his troubles though.

And so much else. Every day this week has felt like an avalanche 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

jimmy olsen

I get CNN international and CNBC.

But I haven't really watched it or the Korean news channels for the past few days. Been on the net 24/7

1 Karma Chameleon point

frunk

What are the odds that the Republicans decide to pull the ripcord on Trump at some point and invoke the 25th Amendment, avoiding the ugliness and potential splash damage of Impeachment/Removal?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: frunk on September 28, 2019, 06:45:49 AM
What are the odds that the Republicans decide to pull the ripcord on Trump at some point and invoke the 25th Amendment, avoiding the ugliness and potential splash damage of Impeachment/Removal?

House and the Senate have to vote on that

1 Karma Chameleon point

frunk

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2019, 07:26:27 AM

That's my point.  If they wait too long potentially more ugliness could come out that would reflect even worse on the rest of the Republicans.  If the Repubs offer the sure thing of invoking the 25th before it gets to that point, would Democrats take it?

I don't think Pelosi or the Democrats want impeachment to be quick.  They want it to drag into the election season.  I think they would be fine to let it run through the presidential.  Why give the Senate the chance to vote not to remove with the associated claims of exoneration?  The 25th gives the Republicans the out of claiming he's no longer in his right mind, as if that was a recent change.

As an aside, I really do wonder what would happen if Trump had to deal with an 8 hour grilling like Clinton did over Benghazi.  I have no idea how he would handle it.

Eddie Teach

I don't know that Democrats have a choice. If they blocked a removal on 25th amendment grounds, people would lose their minds.

Tonitrus

Quote from: frunk on September 28, 2019, 07:54:33 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 28, 2019, 07:26:27 AM

That's my point.  If they wait too long potentially more ugliness could come out that would reflect even worse on the rest of the Republicans.  If the Repubs offer the sure thing of invoking the 25th before it gets to that point, would Democrats take it?

I don't think Pelosi or the Democrats want impeachment to be quick.  They want it to drag into the election season.  I think they would be fine to let it run through the presidential.  Why give the Senate the chance to vote not to remove with the associated claims of exoneration?  The 25th gives the Republicans the out of claiming he's no longer in his right mind, as if that was a recent change.

As an aside, I really do wonder what would happen if Trump had to deal with an 8 hour grilling like Clinton did over Benghazi.  I have no idea how he would handle it.

I'm not sure which would be "worse".  A House impeachment and a dubious Senate trial, or trying to invoke the 25th, then Trump filing a lawsuit to overturn it, and all of the judicial shenanigans (likely to the Supreme Court) that would follow.

frunk

There are no happy ways out of this.  Only ugly, uglier and oh well we had a good run.