The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2019, 06:26:31 PM
Would privilege cover that? In the UK communications with third parties aren't privileged unless they're for litigation.

Same basic idea in the US.  Communicating with a third party breaks privilege unless there is a common legal interest.  In NY the highest court ruled this is limited to a litigation context; some other states apply it more broadly to transactions (Delaware is the most notable).  Freelance foreign policy and political blackmail, however, is not likely to qualify.  Rudy also likely waived the privilege by disclosing key details in public interviews.  I can't speak to the PR aspects for certain but the lawyering here is awful.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Rudy...damn. Hard to believe this is the same dude sometimes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2019, 12:03:17 AM
Probably Trump's only real talent is hypnotizing people into utterly debasing themselves, with no reasonable expectation of reward.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Yes - basically it's a roadmap and witness list for the investigating committees.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

BTW the public release of this document despite heroic efforts of the President and his men to suppress it, is an indication the "system" is working as designed.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 25, 2019, 10:36:25 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2019, 10:23:29 PM
In the future when a Democrat has the Presidency and is pushing foreign nations to prosecute Republicans who will they have to blame?

They'll be retired.

That's amazing, how did you come by this remarkable information?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 26, 2019, 09:10:07 AM
BTW the public release of this document despite heroic efforts of the President and his men to suppress it, is an indication the "system" is working as designed.

The concern is whether this will have actual consequences. Trump's been investigated before. It provided the new cycle with fodder, but evidently did not rein him in.

The problem with this administration isn't that it has successfully avoided scrutiny for its misdeeds. On the contrary, sometimes it seems the entire government apparatus appears to be doing nothing but scrutinizing his misdeeds. The problem is that the misdeeds continue to happen despite scrutiny.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 26, 2019, 06:58:23 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 26, 2019, 12:03:17 AM
Probably Trump's only real talent is hypnotizing people into utterly debasing themselves, with no reasonable expectation of reward.

You lived in New York when he as mayor, was he always like this?  He sounds like he's suffering from mania.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The memo itself is one significant consequence.  Trump wanted to force the new President of Ukraine into opening a criminal investigation into Biden's son and tried to withhold $250 million in aid.  The aid was released and the investigation isn't happening.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on September 26, 2019, 09:43:42 AM
You lived in New York when he as mayor, was he always like this?  He sounds like he's suffering from mania.

No he's lost his mind.  I know some older colleagues - leftie Democrat types - that worked with him during his US attorney days and had a great deal of respect for him as a lawyer and professional.  He went a little far out on civil liberties/national security issues after 9-11 but that is sort of understandable in context.  This really does look like Trump Derangement Syndrome - i.e. the process by which otherwise seemingly intelligent people have their judgment increasingly compromised in their desire to prove their loyalty to the king. 

--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

This is going to real messy for Rudy.  It seems he was using two very shady characters as "associates" who met with all sorts of Ukrainian officials saying god knows what.  These guys used an LLC to funnel tons of money to the Trump campaign (using/abusing Citizens United).  Privileged status of any or all of these conversations or reports to Rudy is dubious.  The whole issue of the ambassador's firing is going to come back up.  This looks like it could be a Watergate-esque carnival of "colorful" witnesses and plots within plots.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2019, 02:10:48 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 25, 2019, 02:08:09 PM
If Trump is convicted, what is the mechanism for physically taking over the control of government when he refuses to go?

Identical to removing a drunk passenger from an airplane.
Drunk passengers on airplanes do not have an army of loyal fanatics armed to the teeth, ready to defend them.

A better question: Is there a formal transition process, other than swearing in the VP as POTUS?

Much bette question: Where do Pence's loyalties lies?  Will he be leading a charge against the Democrats while plotting to have GOP Senators vote against Trump?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.