The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Timing would seem to point to Coat's deputy as a possible identity of the whistleblower.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2019, 02:13:27 PM

Especially given that it's not a transcript and there is no verbatim transcript. So was this released because they thought it was helpful? :huh:

Trump honestly doesn't know why people are upset over this.  Thieves think everyone steals.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

I think he is still deeply frustrated that his job isn't basically a nationwide version of Mayor of New York circa 1979
Let's bomb Russia!

Camerus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2019, 02:13:27 PM

QuoteThe sycophantic flattery that the Ukrainian president heaps on Trump is disturbing on many levels.
I think that's World Leader 101 these days. They've all watched Kim Jong-Un.

I mean look at Scott Morrison or Modi's comments.

That's an issue of almost equal seriousness to what Trump is being accused of doing here. In this conversation we have further proof that Trump is prone to making decisions on the use of American power not based on raison d'etat, America First, moral reasoning etc - but rather based on whichever leader is willing to debase himself and massage the man's ego.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2019, 01:45:33 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 25, 2019, 01:34:09 PM
Expand on this, please?

Rudy met in Spain with one of Zelensky's foreign policy guys.  *If* a quid pro quo was discussed it seems likely to have been done at this time.  I can't be arsed to go back and read the Economist article and give you the exact timeline, but the timing of the meeting strongly suggests it was related to the decision to "strategically review" (i.e. put on hold) the military aid.

Funny how Trump sent his lawyer to engage in possible illegal conduct.  Again.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2019, 04:17:41 PM
I think he is still deeply frustrated that his job isn't basically a nationwide version of Mayor of New York circa 1979

Koch would never pull this kind of bullshit.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2019, 05:45:22 PM

I'm thinking so they can claim lawyer-client.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2019, 06:08:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2019, 05:45:22 PM

I'm thinking so they can claim lawyer-client.
My understanding is that it doesn't apply in cases where the lawyer is the client's accomplice, though I guess there could be a difference between theory and practice.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 25, 2019, 06:13:44 PM
My understanding is that it doesn't apply in cases where the lawyer is the client's accomplice, though I guess there could be a difference between theory and practice.

OK, but you'd either need Rudy's testimony (or testimony from a Ukrainian party) to prove the conspiracy first, no?

Sheilbh

Would privilege cover that? In the UK communications with third parties aren't privileged unless they're for litigation.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2019, 06:26:31 PM
Would privilege cover that? In the UK communications with third parties aren't privileged unless they're for litigation.

dunno

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on September 25, 2019, 12:27:52 PM
Quick question - even if Trump is impeached, there's nothing preventing him from still running in 2020 right?

I believe the senate can ban him from holding federal office again if they actually convicted (they won't)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Oexmelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2019, 02:55:54 PM
Quote from: The Larch on September 25, 2019, 02:47:35 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 25, 2019, 02:33:29 PM
Anyone think there is a connection between the resignation of Former Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats and this call/the whistleblower report?  The call was three days before he decided out of nowhere to resign.

Maybe he received the whistleblower report and thought "Fuck it, I don't want to be in the middle of this shitstorm. Time to go".
Profiles in Courage: vol 72.

Speaking of:

« One Republican senator told me if it was a secret vote, 30 Republican senators would vote to impeach Trump."

– Mike Murphy, fmr. senior adviser to Mitt Romney and John McCain, MSNBC
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

In the future when a Democrat has the Presidency and is pushing foreign nations to prosecute Republicans who will they have to blame?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 25, 2019, 10:23:29 PM
In the future when a Democrat has the Presidency and is pushing foreign nations to prosecute Republicans who will they have to blame?

They'll be retired.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?