The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 03:56:46 PM
Leftism.  Plenty of people are tired of Trump, ready for a return to normalcy.  Only a radical leftist promising a "revolution" would scare them off enough to vote for Trump instead.

Bernie and Trump's continued strong support indicates otherwise. There will be no normalcy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2020, 03:59:53 PM
Leftism.  Plenty of people are tired of Trump, ready for a return to normalcy.  Only a radical leftist promising a "revolution" would scare them off enough to vote for Trump instead.

Bernie and Trump's continued strong support indicates otherwise. There will be no normalcy.

Both have their supporters for sure, but it's a limited number.  There's more voters in the middle.  Democrats just have no nominate someone who can appeal to them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 23, 2020, 03:58:22 PM
I think Biden rocks Trump. Even if all the negatives about Biden are true (he is too old, too senile, low energy, not all that honest and maybe even with some corrupt family members), they are far more true of Trump.

Biden would destroy Trump in the general.

Valmy

Well if he wins the nomination I hope you are right...I also hope he has a very good VP.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 04:01:55 PM
I think Biden rocks Trump. Even if all the negatives about Biden are true (he is too old, too senile, low energy, not all that honest and maybe even with some corrupt family members), they are far more true of Trump.

Not if the Justice Department charges him with something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 23, 2020, 04:02:45 PM
Well if he wins the nomination I hope you are right...I also hope he has a very good VP.

VP selection will be important for Biden (and Saunders, who is even older).  And being Dems, you know they can't select a white male for the job.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on January 23, 2020, 04:04:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 04:01:55 PM

Not if the Justice Department charges him with something.

The Trump Justice Department charging Biden with a crime would be fantastic for Biden.  "Look how afraid Trump is of me!"  It would just emphasize how destructive Trump has been.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 04:12:40 PM

VP selection will be important for Biden (and Saunders, who is even older).  And being Dems, you know they can't select a white male for the job.

I don't think that his true. Someone selecting a running mate has already won the nomination, after all.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 23, 2020, 04:20:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 04:12:40 PM

I don't think that his true. Someone selecting a running mate has already won the nomination, after all.

Not necessarily important for the election - just plain important.  That person has a great chance to be the 2024 nominee - and possibly even the incumbent.

I mean Saunders already had a heart attack!

Eddie Teach

Why is it important to the candidate that his veep checks a box that will make some people in the party happy but won't help their chances in the general election?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 23, 2020, 04:31:11 PM
Why is it important to the candidate that his veep checks a box that will make some people in the party happy but won't help their chances in the general election?

It's important who they pick because that person has such an excellent chance of becoming President - therefore it's important they select someone good.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 04:39:50 PM

It's important who they pick because that person has such an excellent chance of becoming President - therefore it's important they select someone good.

Agree, but i was trying to focus on the part that whoever is nominated wouldn't pick a white male. Maybe they won't--but I don't think that is certain.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on January 23, 2020, 04:45:30 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 04:39:50 PM

Agree, but i was trying to focus on the part that whoever is nominated wouldn't pick a white male. Maybe they won't--but I don't think that is certain.

I think it's certain.  We'll wait and see!

Admiral Yi

He's already the black voter favorite, so he doesn't need to shore up support there.

Oexmelin

As Valmy pointed out, I don't think that is quite true - and I am not sure there is a normalcy to return to.  Quite apart from the fact that leftism may no longer be the bugbear that it once was in American politics, the dynamics have changed.  I think the campaigning is going to matter quite a bit. Whatever campaign or candidate the Democrats produce, the accusations of extremism and leftism have been sown, and well-sown. The Dem candidate will have to either shrug off these accusations, or run with them - once again, having to confront reacting to the Republican smears (as they always do), rather than produce their own message.

The problem with the moderate message, is always that it is way harder to define clearly, and way harder to find a good candidate capable of spinning it into a clear, positive trait (FWIW, I think Mayor Pete did that well). I think Biden would be horrible at this - much like Hilary was the worse possible candidate to oppose Trump. Not because of lack of skill, but rather because she was fighting the previous war.

And, with that being said, I have yet to meet "moderate" conservatives who are debating voting for Trump. Conservatives that I meet are already firmly in the camp - in for a penny, in for a pound. Maybe there are on Languish, but I don't think the board's profile is a representative demographics.
Que le grand cric me croque !