The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2019, 04:45:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2019, 04:41:04 PM
I wasn't giving an exhaustive list.  I could also point you to quite a few Republicans in Congress.

You were purportedly giving me the flesh and blood non-straw man.

I was?  I thought that was something you came up with.  Whatever, Try David Nunes.  He'll mostly flesh and claims that he works for Trump despite being a Congressman.  Mostly I was thinking about a story I read earlier today (well the day I wrote my post), about how one of the Evangelical leaders said that they would only turn on Trump if there were photos of him and Putin actively committing a crime.  Also in my head was a Republican in one of the focus groups for CNN that said if Christ on the Cross said Trump colluded with Russia he'd have to run it by Trump before he would believe it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2019, 05:14:50 PM
I was?  I thought that was something you came up with.

Yeah, if you click the quote button and type something after it, the common perception will tend to be that you're responding to the part in the quotes.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 24, 2019, 04:12:30 PM
but that kind of supernatural help is unlikely to happen.
So, what you say is, there are actually limits as to what God can do?  :ph34r: :cry: :lol:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2019, 03:49:30 PM
That was my first that as well.  My second thought was, what if Trump has a come to Jesus moment on the road to Damascus, admits he has been totally wrong about everything, promises to live the rest of his life as a Nelson Mandela or a Mohandas Gandhi, and carries through on the promise?  Would you still disapprove of him?
I think so.

But I think the last bit gets to the heart of that question. There's plenty of stuff he's done that people like/dislike but I think that's really secondary. But I think the core for Trump's supporters and opponents is who he is and how he behaves. As long as he keeps doing that I don't think his supporters will turn, or people who don't approve suddenly convert.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Yes, I am upset by the very idea that such a - to me- repulsively acting dumb spoiled rich brat can be elected and worshipped by so many.

If he ended up backing correct policies that would lessen the practical damage of course but wouldn't change the fact that his position as POTUS is a terrible, terrible reflection on us as a species

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on December 25, 2019, 01:55:41 PM
Yes, I am upset by the very idea that such a - to me- repulsively acting dumb spoiled rich brat can be elected and worshipped by so many.

If he ended up backing correct policies that would lessen the practical damage of course but wouldn't change the fact that his position as POTUS is a terrible, terrible reflection on us as a species

Indeed.

The fact that Trump is a douchebag of a human means very little to me. We know there are douchebags of human beings out there, so the fact that he is one of them? Meh.

The fact that we fucking elected him is appaling. The fact that much of the West in general seems to be going through this rejection of liberal democratic values in favor of authoritarians or semi-authoritarians or even just wanna be authoritarians is alarming, to put it mildly.

Although I do think this is a lashing out against the status quo more than a reversion to older, more demi-fascist political ideas. I actually think this is a great video about basically what happened in the US post WW2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSlHVZpNxMM
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rASGGjey-I

Lisa Murkowski R Alaska puts a shot across McConnell's bow.

This clip made me realize there's an aspect of the impeachment trial I had not been considering: that procedures in the Senate are decided by majority vote, and there could be some Republicans who, while not openly expressing support for conviction, might end up voting for more prosecution-friendly procedures.

jimmy olsen

There's at least 4 willing to vote against him on procedural issues at least some of the time or there wouldn't even be a trial, they would simply dismiss the charges as soon as they're recieved.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on December 25, 2019, 08:14:48 AM
So, what you say is, there are actually limits as to what God can do?  :ph34r: :cry: :lol:

Well can he make a rock so big not even he can lift it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on December 26, 2019, 09:59:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 25, 2019, 08:14:48 AM

Well can he make a rock so big not even he can lift it?

Can he microwave a burrito so hot that even he cannot eat it?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"