The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

It seems the time is near. The Ukraine scandal seems to be the tipping point. It looks like it is finally go-time.

How will this go? How will it end? What are the implications for elections next year? If it goes to the Senate, how many Senate Republicans will vote to convict?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM
It seems the time is near. The Ukraine scandal seems to be the tipping point. It looks like it is finally go-time.

How will this go? How will it end? What are the implications for elections next year? If it goes to the Senate, how many Senate Republicans will vote to convict?

That's easy, zero.

It'll be Clinton Impeachment II: Trump Boogaloo.

Valmy

I have no idea what impact it will have. Are there people undecided about Trump out there? Is it possible at this point for anybody to change their mind?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 24, 2019, 02:11:53 PM

Clinton never had to run for office after his impeachment though so that will be different.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2019, 02:14:01 PM

Clinton never had to run for office after his impeachment though so that will be different.

Fair.  I would even put in a slim chance that the GOP might, during the course of an impeachment process, might decide to jettison Trump, and let Pence glide into office to Gerald Ford the whole thing.  Though while hoping he could manhandle any Democratic candidate.

I don't think the GOP has any particular loyalty to Trump...they just have a loyalty to having their political agenda run its course, and Trump isn't really needed for that.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Oexmelin

If the Democrats want to pull this thing off (and they should), they better go at it with an ironclad plan, a real clear messaging, and roles clearly assigned.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on September 24, 2019, 02:23:27 PM

There does feel like that this advances a narrative that everybody is just out to get poor Donald. So it may be self-destructive.

If they do it I guess we will find out.

But, on the other hand, the Democrats were not give control of the House to just ignore what the President is doing.

Berkut

I heard there was a motion to open up impeachment proceedings around the Ukraine stuff.

I was wondering if it makes sense to limit it to just that though....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

The Clinton impeachment almost seems quaint in light of recent developments.  The origin was a $200,000 Arkansas land deal that occurred a decade before Clinton was President, on which he lost money.  Compared with the open corruption and self-dealing that has occurred in the White House by a serving President, the Whitewater inquiry looks retrospectively like a lot of pettifoggery.  The impeachment itself was entirely unrelated and based on alleged false statement Clinton made in a deposition in a civil case arising out of his conduct while Governor of Arkansas.

Trump on the other hand is being accused of abusing his Presidential powers as President.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I honestly don't see any other remedy.  I have been against impeachment, and this will probably play into Trump's hands, but democracy should go down fighting.  Someone needs to make a stand and say that soliciting foreign interference in our elections is wrong.  Encouraging other nations to press charges against your political opponents is wrong.  I wouldn't think that such a stand would have been necessary, but here we are on the brink of crisis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 24, 2019, 02:16:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2019, 02:14:01 PM

Fair.  I would even put in a slim chance that the GOP might, during the course of an impeachment process, might decide to jettison Trump, and let Pence glide into office to Gerald Ford the whole thing.  Though while hoping he could manhandle any Democratic candidate.

I don't think the GOP has any particular loyalty to Trump...they just have a loyalty to having their political agenda run its course, and Trump isn't really needed for that.

Trouble is, you know Trump isn't just going to go quietly into the night.  No long silence ala Nixon.  Even if impeached he'll keep tweeting, and lots of it would be directed towards senate republicans who voted against him.

That being said, GOP Senators have to quietly be quite tired of this guy.  If impeachment isn't just some theoretical possibility, but an actual vote, they might decide just to pull the plug on old Donald, in particular if they aren't up for re-election in 2020.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Whoever this whistleblower is is gonna get crucified by right-wing media when they publicly testify.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

frunk

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 24, 2019, 03:27:26 PM
Whoever this whistleblower is is gonna get crucified by right-wing media when they publicly testify.

Every single person who says an unkind thing about Trump gets that treatment.  It won't be that new.

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 24, 2019, 03:27:26 PM

They are already crucifying him/her.  I haven't looked up who it is, but the Russians know and they've reported it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017