Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on October 13, 2019, 02:19:26 AM
Well that was rude.
i thought you guys were gonna take it the way that first half played out.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

Quote from: katmai on October 13, 2019, 04:04:38 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 13, 2019, 02:19:26 AM
Well that was rude.
i thought you guys were gonna take it the way that first half played out.

But then everyone woke up and realized that Arizona isn't actually that good.

But yeah, being up a FG after the mistakes of the first half was pretty encouraging.

0 rows returned

Berkut

This was a game that just reminds you that college sports are, at the end of the day, mostly about recruiting.

You can do ok if you recruit ok. If you go out and consistently get mostly 3 and some 4 star recruits, well, you will win about 65% of your games overall. You will beat up on non-conference opponents who live on 3 star guys, and you will win halfish of your games against your conference opponents who also recruit 3 and 4 star guys, and overall you will mostly lose against your opponents who recruit 4 and 5 star guys.

Being an Arizona fan makes this just crystal clear. Our football team has a year here or there where they do well, when some number of those 3 and 4 star recruits turn out to be 4 and occasionally 5 star players. But you won't have consistent success doing that. You will just be consistently...mediocre.

Our basketball team doesn't even look at 3 star recruits for the most part. We go after 4 and 5 star recruits, and we get them. Sure, some of those 5 star guys turn out to be 3 star players, but that's ok - by and large the ranking systems mostly work, and highly ranked recruits mostly turn into highly ranked players often enough that the elite programs mostly just lose to other elite programs.

Arizona football will never win a Rose Bowl living on middle BCS school recruiting. They will have occasional 7-9 win seasons, occasional 4 win seasons, and mostly sit around 6-7 wins. When the schools that can walk into a 5 star recruits living room and get their share of them show up, most of the time, the result will be as expected.

0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Is Washington a school that gets lots of 5 stars?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 13, 2019, 09:36:26 AM
Compared to Arizona, they are as long as they get any at all.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on October 13, 2019, 09:29:49 AM
This was a game that just reminds you that college sports are, at the end of the day, mostly about recruiting.

Unless you are Kansas State coached by Bill Snyder.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

katmai

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 13, 2019, 09:36:26 AM
Washington competes with USC and Oregon for 5 star west coast talent.

And then all three lose out to SEC.

katmai

Berkie, I won't argue with your assessment. It only makes what Helton has done with talent he has recruited to USC even more astounding in their underwhelming performances.

Berkut

Quote from: katmai on October 14, 2019, 02:43:47 AM
Berkie, I won't argue with your assessment. It only makes what Helton has done with talent he has recruited to USC even more astounding in their underwhelming performances.

Well sure. Having talent is a necessary, but not sufficient condition to consistent success. You can still manage to do badly despite it.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Again the Big 12 has had teams like TCU, Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State all have success despite having shitty recruiting.

I mean the recruiting is not actually shitty, it just appears to be so by the recruiting rankings.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Recruits to Wyoming have lost a star after they sign...seriously, 3 star athletes sign at a Wyoming and on the boards they are suddenly 2 star.  Now Wyoming is a black hole, that sucks the ability out of most of the football players who come there, but still...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2019, 03:11:26 PM
Again the Big 12 has had teams like TCU, Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State all have success despite having shitty recruiting.

I mean the recruiting is not actually shitty, it just appears to be so by the recruiting rankings.

I imagine that depends on how you define success.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2019, 03:11:26 PM

TCU, Baylor, and Iowa State are generally in the upper half (25-35) of P5 schools.  Kansas State and Oklahoma State not so much, but they aren't true bottom-feeders like, say, Boston College.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

There are,, by my count, 80 FBS teams with the 6 or more wins needed to become bowl eligible--exactly the number needed to fill all the bowl slots. But 1 of those is Missouri, which is on probation and banned from bowling this year.  So unless Army beats Navy to get to 6 wins, we get to see a 5-7 team in a bowl game this year.