News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2019

Started by PDH, August 25, 2019, 07:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Jesus, Berkut...an opening loss vs Hawaii?

In other news, Wyoming will suck this year.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

dps

I wasn't sold on Florida as a Top 10 team, and after watching them beat Miami, well, I'm still not sold.

Valmy

They won and soon they will fatten up on the FCS teams in the rest of their OOC schedule (I...guess UT Martin is FCS) and play the shitty SEC East, so I expect them to roll into the World's Biggest Cocktail Party with an inflated record and entrenched into the top 10.

It's good being SEC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

No doubt the rest of their non-conference schedule is pathetic (2 FCS teams--are they channeling UNC or something?), but I can easily see them having 3 conference losses before they meet Georgia.

derspiess

Quote from: dps on August 25, 2019, 09:14:15 PM
I wasn't sold on Florida as a Top 10 team, and after watching them beat Miami, well, I'm still not sold.

I only watched the 2nd half.  As much as I did not want Miami to win, the antics of Florida's QB made me reluctant to root for them either.  His brother is a lot more even-headed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: PDH on August 25, 2019, 07:35:21 PM
Jesus, Berkut...an opening loss vs Hawaii?

In other news, Wyoming will suck this year.

Arizona got 6 turnovers in that game. 4 INT, 2 fumble recoveries.

How in the hell do you get SIX turnovers, and still give up 45 points? AND LOSE?

How is that even possible?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

I cannot recall a year where the prognosis for the Michigan football team was less clear than this coming season.  They could be a playoff team, or could have five losses.  Where Michigan has lots of veteran players (the offense, especially the line, receivers, and QB) the coaching isn't proven.  Where is has proven coaching (defense) it doesn't have as many veteran players as usual, especially at DT and CB.  So, prospects rest on the quality of unproven elements.

This should be "the year," but last year should have been, even more so.  At least we fans can finally relax about the offensive line (barring injuries).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Wyoming starts off the year with Missouri coming to Laramie this Saturday.  I am planning to attend, to drink beer at the stadium, and to watch the Wyoming team once again be unable to have any sort of offense.  A long season is ahead of me, the beer will help.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on August 29, 2019, 09:12:59 AM
I cannot recall a year where the prognosis for the Michigan football team was less clear than this coming season.  They could be a playoff team, or could have five losses.  Where Michigan has lots of veteran players (the offense, especially the line, receivers, and QB) the coaching isn't proven.  Where is has proven coaching (defense) it doesn't have as many veteran players as usual, especially at DT and CB.  So, prospects rest on the quality of unproven elements.

This should be "the year," but last year should have been, even more so.  At least we fans can finally relax about the offensive line (barring injuries).

On the plus side, they'll have one easy W when they go up against Iowa.  <_<
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2019, 03:19:42 PM

Iowa is going to have a good team this year.  Both S&P+ and FPI have them top-25, and both place them in the top 2 in the B10 West (FPI has them slightly behind Minnesota, and S&P+ has them more substantially behind Wisconsin).  Except for Iowa State, they have a Favorable OOC schedule (and they are slightly favored against ISU).  Both systems have the likeliest win total as 8.

This should be a good year for Iowa.   I'm happy for their fans, because I think they have the second-best fans in the B10 (and I'd think most other team's fans would agree with that while disagreeing about the best).

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on August 29, 2019, 04:21:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2019, 03:19:42 PM

Iowa is going to have a good team this year.  Both S&P+ and FPI have them top-25, and both place them in the top 2 in the B10 West (FPI has them slightly behind Minnesota, and S&P+ has them more substantially behind Wisconsin).  Except for Iowa State, they have a Favorable OOC schedule (and they are slightly favored against ISU).  Both systems have the likeliest win total as 8.

This should be a good year for Iowa.   I'm happy for their fans, because I think they have the second-best fans in the B10 (and I'd think most other team's fans would agree with that while disagreeing about the best).

Iowa is going to have a solid year this year, just like last year. We'll have eight wins, possibly nine. We'll get a bowl berth because we always do because everyone loves our fans.

But we're not going to win the big games (we never do), and we're not going to the Rose Bowl. Tthat's just how it's going to be so long as a) Stanley is our QB (with no one left to really be his receiver this year), and b) Ferentz as our coach. Ferentz is a solid guy, knows his stuff, but he's never going to bring us over the top. Stanley is a decent-ish QB that does as well as he does because Iowa's line is incredible.

This has been our lot for a while now. I'm resigned to not see a win over Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State for the next decade. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Iowa 55, THE Ohio State 24, 11/4/17.

Ferentz is a miracle worker.

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on August 29, 2019, 11:21:31 AM
Wyoming starts off the year with Missouri coming to Laramie this Saturday.  I am planning to attend, to drink beer at the stadium, and to watch the Wyoming team once again be unable to have any sort of offense.  A long season is ahead of me, the beer will help.

Well you couldn't have been more wrong PDH.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: dps on August 25, 2019, 10:16:25 PM
No doubt the rest of their non-conference schedule is pathetic (2 FCS teams--are they channeling UNC or something?), but I can easily see them having 3 conference losses before they meet Georgia.

Kentucky, Tennessee, and South Carolina are all hot garbage. They might have two losses: to Auburn and LSU. But they will probably still be top 10 without beating anybody worth a damn because SEC SEC SEC

dps

Quote from: Valmy on September 01, 2019, 12:36:54 AM
Kentucky, Tennessee, and South Carolina are all hot garbage.

Agree on Tennessee and probably South Carolina (they just lost to UNC, so they can't be much good), but Kentucky might be good.  I do think that Florida is better than Kentucky, but the Kentucky game isn't a gimme, IMO.