News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Recession Megathread

Started by Tamas, August 01, 2019, 06:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Dodd-Frank curtailed the emergency powers of the Federal Reserve so yes the power to prevent the spread of financial contagion has been compromised.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

how do i short the world economy
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on August 20, 2019, 03:38:23 PM

Gold is the traditional hedge but it is already very expensive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2019, 03:44:03 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 20, 2019, 03:38:23 PM

Gold is the traditional hedge but it is already very expensive.

Not at previous ATH, though, so arguably room for improvement.

Bitcoin it is.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Bitcoin is going long on hot air.
--Joan Robinson

HisMajestyBOB

Guns, ammo, and canned food are also fairly traditional.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tamas

QuoteAmerica's factory sector is shrinking for the first time in almost a decade -- a sign that the trade war with China may be hurting.

Data firm Markit has just reported that its US manufacturing PMI has fallen to 44.9, down from 50.4 in July.

This is the first time since September 2009 that this PMI has dropped below 50.0 -- the point that separates expansion from contraction.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Interesting speech by the Fed Chair, particularly the bit about low inflation being the challenge of this era.

Valmy

Why would low inflation be bad? :hmm:

I suppose it hurts our exports competitiveness?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2019, 10:55:55 AM

Somebody here will surely put it in better words than me, but in short it shows that demand is slowing down, since sustained consumer demand drives up prices. Slow demand then slows down business investments, etc... it can become a bit of a vicious circle.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 23, 2019, 10:55:55 AM

2% inflation seems to be the benchmark smarter people than us have chosen for a healthy economy - too low or too high from there is not so good.  Here is an article from 2017 - first one that popped up, describing why low inflation below 2% is bad.

https://econofact.org/whats-the-problem-with-low-inflation

In addition Picketty did a pretty good analysis of the relationship between low inflation and extreme economic inequality.

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2019, 11:53:46 AM
https://econofact.org/whats-the-problem-with-low-inflation

QuoteLow inflation can be a signal of economic problems because it may be associated with weakness in the economy. When unemployment is high or consumer confidence low, people and businesses may be less willing to make investments and spend on consumption

Americans are...not consuming enough? All those pointed critiques of our consumer culture artists have kept making for the past century must have finally had an impact.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."