And we're back!

Main Menu

The Recession Megathread

Started by Tamas, August 01, 2019, 06:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: merithyn on August 01, 2019, 12:02:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 01, 2019, 11:53:59 AM
Perhaps not the best choices for riding out the coming storm.

They've both hit bottom and are heading up (cheap to buy now), plus are buoyed by the EU. There's nothing to support the US when it tanks. Plus, c'mon. It's Spain! Or Italy! If I'm going to ride out a recession, why not go there??

Spain is superb in pretty much anything but jobs. It's a pretty big con, though.

Last I heard they are making it even harder to get in, too. You'd need ~40k € salary to qualify for our H1B equivalent, which in the private sector is something like the 95 percentile.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 01, 2019, 12:32:03 PM

Italy is about as unstable politically as they come and are going hard right.  Spain is a great place to visit for lengthy amounts of time but to actually work there? I am not so sure.

And that is in the best of times.  When another great recession hits those two countries are going to suffer.

My employment is portable, and while not entirely recession-proof, it's about as close as you can get. All I need is a cheap place to land.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

There are good (or at least valid) arguments for Spain IMHO, but Italy has a very decent chance of turning VERY nasty.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on August 01, 2019, 12:53:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 01, 2019, 12:32:03 PM

Italy is about as unstable politically as they come and are going hard right.  Spain is a great place to visit for lengthy amounts of time but to actually work there? I am not so sure.

And that is in the best of times.  When another great recession hits those two countries are going to suffer.

My employment is portable, and while not entirely recession-proof, it's about as close as you can get. All I need is a cheap place to land.

Not only cheap but someplace that actually has jobs on offer.  If you can get a job in Spain that will survive an economic downturn then more power to you :)

My only point is there are better economic options than Spain.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 01, 2019, 01:29:51 PM
Not only cheap but someplace that actually has jobs on offer.  If you can get a job in Spain that will survive an economic downturn then more power to you :)

I have a relatively-recession proof job that will move with me. I won't need a job offer.

My only point is there are better economic options than Spain.

There are other options, yes. I'm saying that Spain has it's own appeal to me.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Big defensive dive into bonds today, the treasury yield curve inversion deepened despite the Fed's move.  That would tend to provide support for Tamas' side of the bet.

The real question is not whether there will be a recession - sooner or later it always happens and getting the exact timing is a fool's game.  The question is how bad and how deep it will be.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: Tamas on August 01, 2019, 06:07:10 AM
So, the Fed has cut the interest rate, first time in a decade.

We will be in recession by this time next year, I am calling it.

Change my mind!

If we're going to have a recession, best if it hits before the 2020 general election.

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2019, 04:05:58 PM
Big defensive dive into bonds today, the treasury yield curve inversion deepened despite the Fed's move.  That would tend to provide support for Tamas' side of the bet.

The real question is not whether there will be a recession - sooner or later it always happens and getting the exact timing is a fool's game.  The question is how bad and how deep it will be.

Rubbish, the revenues from the amazing Trump tariffs will see America through the worst.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Not too worried about getting the timing right, I know it is coming and I am just waiting for it to happen with cash on hand to buy when it does.  I missed some of the last bit of this upside but I can sleep at night.

grumbler

My normally-bullish financial advisor and I agreed today that we were going to retreat from the market.  He's been right every time so far.

Hold on to your socks, not your stocks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I keep having thoughts of a man in naval uniform (which is how always imagine Grumbler) and a Minotaur running in panic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

If a recession is coming, I'd prefer it start 1st quarter next year, rather than this fall. Better impact on the election.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Germany probably already is in a recession as it looks like the economy might at best stagnate, more likely shrink in the current quarter after a contraction in the second quarter. Germany has low unemployment and reasonable debt though, so it should cope.

My industry - automotive- is already in a global recession as markets everywhere are contracting. At the same time, huge investments are necessary.  We had seven fat years, now it looks like lean years ahead...

Syt

How much is the severity of a recession linked to reputable analysts warning about the recession and market participants acting on those warnings?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.