News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Recession Megathread

Started by Tamas, August 01, 2019, 06:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

So, the Fed has cut the interest rate, first time in a decade.

We will be in recession by this time next year, I am calling it.

Change my mind!

katmai

Well we have the best people on it, and the greatest economy and most loved president ever, so fake news.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

merithyn

Let's just say that I have deliberately kept my options open regarding where to live, etc. Note that I am touring Europe soon, specifically Spain and Italy, two states that I've spent a good deal of time looking into their emigration laws.

This is not news, my friend, to anyone that's been paying attention. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

Booker is a young multi-ethnic Ivy League law school grad currently serving as a junior Senator, who uses lefty rhetoric at times but has a rep of governing and legislating as a moderate.

The comparison to Obama is hard to avoid and unfortunately it's not that favorable to Booker - Obama is more "cool" in just about every sense and is a more talented public speaker.  Plus Booker has to compete against Obama's VP.

I think if Obama had never been President, Booker's candidacy might have more traction.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on August 01, 2019, 11:12:03 AM
Let's just say that I have deliberately kept my options open regarding where to live, etc. Note that I am touring Europe soon, specifically Spain and Italy, two states that I've spent a good deal of time looking into their emigration laws.

This is not news, my friend, to anyone that's been paying attention. :P

Perhaps not the best choices for riding out the coming storm.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 01, 2019, 11:53:59 AM

They've both hit bottom and are heading up (cheap to buy now), plus are buoyed by the EU. There's nothing to support the US when it tanks. Plus, c'mon. It's Spain! Or Italy! If I'm going to ride out a recession, why not go there??
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on August 01, 2019, 12:02:05 PM

They've both hit bottom and are heading up (cheap to buy now), plus are buoyed by the EU. There's nothing to support the US when it tanks. Plus, c'mon. It's Spain! Or Italy! If I'm going to ride out a recession, why not go there??

I like your thinking, Meri; a friend of mine is going to New Zealand to escape the pending Brexit disaster.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Italy is heading straight for the shitter.

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2019, 11:41:10 AM
Booker is a young multi-ethnic Ivy League law school grad currently serving as a junior Senator, who uses lefty rhetoric at times but has a rep of governing and legislating as a moderate.

The comparison to Obama is hard to avoid and unfortunately it's not that favorable to Booker - Obama is more "cool" in just about every sense and is a more talented public speaker.  Plus Booker has to compete against Obama's VP.

I think if Obama had never been President, Booker's candidacy might have more traction.

What about Takeheraway?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

They're just behind Greece for the worst places to be in a recession?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Rather be in a recession in Italy than a boom in Zimbabwe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Italy is about as unstable politically as they come and are going hard right.  Spain is a great place to visit for lengthy amounts of time but to actually work there? I am not so sure.

And that is in the best of times.  When another great recession hits those two countries are going to suffer.