News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Meri does Europe - Dec 2019 edition

Started by merithyn, July 25, 2019, 05:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2019, 05:01:25 PMI've already registered as a reader (good until 24 Feb 2020). I've also sent a letter to the manuscript reading room as introduction, per the website's recommendation. I'll bring the letter from my friend with me, and she's also emailing the pdf to them. There's of course no guarantee that I'll have access to the book. I have, however, done everything I possibly can to try to make that happen.
It's the best that I can do. :)

:thumbsup:

That being said, if you are there, I often find that seeing any medieval illuminated manuscript "in the flesh" is always quite moving. So you could conceivably think of another manuscript (for instance, the Dialogue de la duchesse de Bourgogne a Jesus Christ by Nicholas Finet, or La Queste del Saint Graal) it may still be quite impressive to see.
Que le grand cric me croque !

merithyn

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 04, 2019, 05:47:45 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2019, 04:57:50 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on December 04, 2019, 01:20:39 PM
When will you be at the British Library?

December 30

Too bad. I am leaving the 23. Otherwise, I'd have invited you to join me at the National Archives as well.

:o

You couldn't have mentioned this when I was still in the planning stages of this trip?????? :mad:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 04, 2019, 05:53:03 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2019, 05:01:25 PMI've already registered as a reader (good until 24 Feb 2020). I've also sent a letter to the manuscript reading room as introduction, per the website's recommendation. I'll bring the letter from my friend with me, and she's also emailing the pdf to them. There's of course no guarantee that I'll have access to the book. I have, however, done everything I possibly can to try to make that happen.
It's the best that I can do. :)

:thumbsup:

That being said, if you are there, I often find that seeing any medieval illuminated manuscript "in the flesh" is always quite moving. So you could conceivably think of another manuscript (for instance, the Dialogue de la duchesse de Bourgogne a Jesus Christ by Nicholas Finet, or La Queste del Saint Graal) it may still be quite impressive to see.

Agreed. I've seen a number of illuminated manuscripts in my studies. The oldest so far was a 13th century gospel in The Newberry Library in Chicago. Interesting note: It had a painting of Jesus on the cross that looked insanely like it came out of Jesus Christ: Superstar. :lol:

merithyn

I made it to Barcelona. I'm beat but feeling incredibly relaxed. I'll update the blog tonight, and post some pictures there.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: merithyn on December 09, 2019, 07:42:19 AM
I made it to Barcelona. I'm beat but feeling incredibly relaxed. I'll update the blog tonight, and post some pictures there.

The adventure begins  :cool:

celedhring

merithyn

mongers

:cool:

Have a great time, looking forward to reading your blog.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Yeah! I cannot wait to follow your adventures.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quick note for those who aren't in - or don't bother to read - The Back Room:

Here's my blog for this trip. :)

https://roanaskitchen.blogspot.com/

Admiral Yi

You sure you want your real name out here, Ms. Kitchen?

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2019, 07:13:06 PM
You sure you want your real name out here, Ms. Kitchen?

Doesn't matter. You won't remember it anyway.  ;)

mongers

Meri, I saw this map and thought of your:

It might help during any transport strike?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"