News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Meri does Europe - Dec 2019 edition

Started by merithyn, July 25, 2019, 05:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

The hood on a hoodie gets in the way if you're wearing a jacket over top.

Bring the sweater.

And if you're backpacking, don't bring two items when you can get away with one.  You might have room, but there's always the weight to be concerned about.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Its all getting a bit technical; luckily we have shops in Europe if things go badly  :P

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 03, 2019, 03:16:18 PM
Its all getting a bit technical; luckily we have shops in Europe if things go badly  :P

:thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2019, 02:46:43 PM
The hood on a hoodie gets in the way if you're wearing a jacket over top.

Bring the sweater.

That's not my experience, but I wear hoodies a lot so maybe I'm just more practiced. :D

And if you're backpacking, don't bring two items when you can get away with one.  You might have room, but there's always the weight to be concerned about.

This is exactly why I'm asking which to bring. :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 03, 2019, 03:16:18 PM

I'm planning to buy a good wool fisherman's sweater in Edinburgh. I had one from my first trip to London that the kids destroyed. I'm looking to replace it. :P

But Edinburgh is pretty far into the trip. :D

merithyn

ohmygoohmygodohmygod!!

I just got my letter from the Vatican with approval for my ticket to be at Midnight Mass Christmas Eve with the Pope at St Peter's Basilica! Squeee!!!!

On top of that, a friend of mine - an executive librarian at the U of Georgia Law Library - is going to write a Letter of Introduction for me to see the St Cuthbert Gospel at the British Library! Along with about half a dozen other books from the high middle ages (1000-1300 CE). AND Brazen is probably going to join Tonitrus and I on our trip to the British Library!

I may die of excitement before I ever get to Europe!

Oexmelin

When will you be at the British Library?
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2019, 12:21:12 PM
ohmygoohmygodohmygod!!

I just got my letter from the Vatican with approval for my ticket to be at Midnight Mass Christmas Eve with the Pope at St Peter's Basilica! Squeee!!!!

On top of that, a friend of mine - an executive librarian at the U of Georgia Law Library - is going to write a Letter of Introduction for me to see the St Cuthbert Gospel at the British Library! Along with about half a dozen other books from the high middle ages (1000-1300 CE). AND Brazen is probably going to join Tonitrus and I on our trip to the British Library!

I may die of excitement before I ever get to Europe!

:cool:  ...  :cool: ...  :cool: 

Uberly so.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Damn. Meri is going to have the best Christmas ever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2019, 12:21:12 PM
On top of that, a friend of mine - an executive librarian at the U of Georgia Law Library - is going to write a Letter of Introduction for me to see the St Cuthbert Gospel at the British Library!

OK, that is seriously cool  :cool:

Oexmelin

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2019, 12:21:12 PMOn top of that, a friend of mine - an executive librarian at the U of Georgia Law Library - is going to write a Letter of Introduction for me to see the St Cuthbert Gospel at the British Library! Along with about half a dozen other books from the high middle ages (1000-1300 CE). AND Brazen is probably going to join Tonitrus and I on our trip to the British Library!

Just a few words of advice: unless your friend is personal friends with one of the curators, and is requesting a personal showing, chances are that this Letter of Introduction is only for you to have access to the manuscript reading room. You'll still have to register as a reader, and will be subjected to the restrictions on accessibility of the document - which especially for old, famous manuscripts, and digitalized manuscripts, can vary quite a bit.

In any event, I would recommend pre-registering before you leave: https://www.bl.uk/help/how-to-get-a-reader-pass

garbon

I think she had said somewhere that she was already a reader but then I think that's only valid for 2 years so could need a re-up. I just joined the other weekend. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

merithyn

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 04, 2019, 03:58:30 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2019, 12:21:12 PMOn top of that, a friend of mine - an executive librarian at the U of Georgia Law Library - is going to write a Letter of Introduction for me to see the St Cuthbert Gospel at the British Library! Along with about half a dozen other books from the high middle ages (1000-1300 CE). AND Brazen is probably going to join Tonitrus and I on our trip to the British Library!

Just a few words of advice: unless your friend is personal friends with one of the curators, and is requesting a personal showing, chances are that this Letter of Introduction is only for you to have access to the manuscript reading room. You'll still have to register as a reader, and will be subjected to the restrictions on accessibility of the document - which especially for old, famous manuscripts, and digitalized manuscripts, can vary quite a bit.

In any event, I would recommend pre-registering before you leave: https://www.bl.uk/help/how-to-get-a-reader-pass

I've already registered as a reader (good until 24 Feb 2020). I've also sent a letter to the manuscript reading room as introduction, per the website's recommendation. I'll bring the letter from my friend with me, and she's also emailing the pdf to them. There's of course no guarantee that I'll have access to the book. I have, however, done everything I possibly can to try to make that happen.

It's the best that I can do. :)

Oexmelin

Quote from: merithyn on December 04, 2019, 04:57:50 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on December 04, 2019, 01:20:39 PM
When will you be at the British Library?

December 30

Too bad. I am leaving the 23. Otherwise, I'd have invited you to join me at the National Archives as well.