And we're back!

Main Menu

Meri does Europe - Dec 2019 edition

Started by merithyn, July 25, 2019, 05:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 05, 2019, 12:18:01 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 05, 2019, 10:34:34 AM
I guess I just don't know what makes Paris "special", and not like any other large major city. The Eiffel Tower, of course, and the Arch de Triumphe. The Louvre (though I've heard it's so crowded as to be awful), and at one time, Notre Dame.

Those are not the things that make Paris special - the Eiffer tower is a hunk of metal in a rather unattractive plaza, the Arc de Triomphe is a bombastic 19th century monument in a middle of a crowded avenue. The louvre is extraordinary but yes overcrowded.

Get up - have your breakfast, toss away your guidebooks and maps and stroll out your hotel door.  Walk out and then keep walking.  Down the broad avenues, into and out of the side streets, through the parks.  Stop for coffee in a quiet café off the path, grab a baguette, or pick up some kosher pizza in the marais.  Get a feel for the rhythm of the street life and the people who live there.  Watch the bourgeois go their way in the right bank, the students in left.  Pass by the ruins of Notre Dame and walk through the small but charming i'le st louis. Peruse the shops.  Along the way find some charming little restaurant off the beaten path and reserve dinner there - don't bother looking what the guide books say.  If you absolutely need to DO something, go to museum like Rodin, with gardens and places to stroll.  As a midwesterner you will find the Paris winters mild and you won't get crushed by the crowds in the big indoor museums.  Grab an afternoon port and stroll around some more as the sun goes down. 

You can do that in London or New York.  But it will be London and New York.  It won't be Paris.  Once you've done it in Paris, you'll know.

I do this in every city that I visit. It's the best and really only way to get a feel for a city. One day is always set aside to wander the city streets and learn the ebb and flow of the people.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on September 05, 2019, 12:00:15 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 05, 2019, 11:28:19 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 05, 2019, 10:43:27 AM
Damning with faint praise lol

New Yorkers aren't rude, really. They're just always in a goddamn hurry, and do not want you or anyone else to slow them down.

I'm not sure. I don't believe I hear or say fuck you as much with strangers since leaving New York. :blush:

The old New York tourist joke:

"Excuse me, sir, but can you show me the way to the Empire State Building... or should I just go fuck myself?"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

I booked my flights from Barcelona to Rome, and Rome to London today.

It's only about six weeks away. Time to shore things up a bit. Who will be around in any of the following places that is interested in meeting up?

December 9 - December 15: Barcelona
December 15 - December 18: Naples
December 18 - December 25: Rome
December 25 - December 30: UK
December 30 - January 3: Paris

Note:
* December 13th is my birthday, and celedrhing has said that he'll be up for meeting up that night. Anyone else wanna join us? :)

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2019, 03:08:59 PM
I booked my flights from Barcelona to Rome, and Rome to London today.

It's only about six weeks away. Time to shore things up a bit. Who will be around in any of the following places that is interested in meeting up?

December 9 - December 15: Barcelona
December 15 - December 18: Naples
December 18 - December 25: Rome
December 25 - December 30: UK
December 30 - January 3: Paris

Note:
* December 13th is my birthday, and celedrhing has said that he'll be up for meeting up that night. Anyone else wanna join us? :)

:cool:

Nice itinerary there, Meri.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Traveling on Christmas day eh? Interesting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2019, 03:21:23 PM

To a UK in the midst of two weeks of chaos following a stalemate election result, a prime minister refusing to leave office and increasingly angry rival crowds of Brexiters and Remainers on London's streets.   :P

merithyn

Always cheaper to fly ON a holiday rather than AROUND a holiday. Also, since it's just me and no holiday plans, flying out on that day makes it easy. I haven't celebrated Christmas day in years, so no biggie for me.

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on October 25, 2019, 03:28:01 PM

To a UK in the midst of two weeks of chaos following a stalemate election result, a prime minister refusing to leave office and increasingly angry rival crowds of Brexiters and Remainers on London's streets.   :P

On the plus side, I'm heading further north for the bulk of my stay, I think, so I won't have to deal with a Brexit-messy London for more than a day at most. :)

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2019, 03:36:21 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 25, 2019, 03:28:01 PM

On the plus side, I'm heading further north for the bulk of my stay, I think, so I won't have to deal with a Brexit-messy London for more than a day at most. :)

Wise choice, though if Brexit gets rammed through, you might need your passport on leaving the M25 from a newly independent London and at Berwick on Tweed.  :D

Have a fun time Meri. :hug:

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on October 25, 2019, 03:32:12 PM

Always cheaper to fly ON a holiday rather than AROUND a holiday. Also, since it's just me and no holiday plans, flying out on that day makes it easy. I haven't celebrated Christmas day in years, so no biggie for me.

Well may you have holly jolly travel day!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I applaud your counterintuitive thinking Meri.

Richard Hakluyt

Looking forward to showing you the wonders of...........drumroll........Preston  :P

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 26, 2019, 03:31:50 AM
Looking forward to showing you the wonders of...........drumroll........Preston  :P

I'm dragging Tonitrus with me, so we'll all have a wonderful time, I'm sure. ^_^

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 26, 2019, 03:31:50 AM

Preston was lovely back in 2006. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt