News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Meri does Europe - Dec 2019 edition

Started by merithyn, July 25, 2019, 05:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Does Paris still have its dog shit problem?

Syt

Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2019, 12:06:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 04, 2019, 11:58:57 AM
Now I've never been to Paris, and you know that I'm all about the rustic countryside... but there's still something about a major world city like London, New York, or I assume Paris.  I'm sure you'll have an amazing time, even if you wouldn't want to live there.

I'm sure there will be things about it that I find absolutely delightful. It's just not a dream destination for me. :)

Neither was Rome for me. But then I visited it for work and absolutely loved my time there. Beautiful city. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2019, 01:27:17 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2019, 12:06:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 04, 2019, 11:58:57 AM
Now I've never been to Paris, and you know that I'm all about the rustic countryside... but there's still something about a major world city like London, New York, or I assume Paris.  I'm sure you'll have an amazing time, even if you wouldn't want to live there.

I'm sure there will be things about it that I find absolutely delightful. It's just not a dream destination for me. :)

Neither was Rome for me. But then I visited it for work and absolutely loved my time there. Beautiful city. :)

It could be said that I'm managing expectations. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

I'd say Paris is nice to visit but definitely not a highlight outside of the art museums.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

Maladict

Richard Hakluyt

I was deeply disturbed on my last visit to Paris when all the Parisians were nice to me; the old ways are dying  :(

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 04, 2019, 01:19:21 PM
Does Paris still have its dog shit problem?

Right now there are lots of engineering works for the Greater Paris public transportation networks in the coming years plus city hall elections next years. That's the big issue. During summer with even more lines closed for summer repairs or renewals, it was tedious at times with many detours.
Dogs are still a problem though.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 05, 2019, 01:00:45 AM
I was deeply disturbed on my last visit to Paris when all the Parisians were nice to me; the old ways are dying  :(

That was a big drive during the 90s in the run up to the World Cup. Everybody in Paris, except the lady in the tourist office ironicaly, was lovely to me. Especially the constantly drunk arab guys who ran my hotel, and being very well integrated they also had all their dogs sitting by the front desk.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

I too wasn't overly impressed with paris. the museums were cool though. I was only there for like 2 days though
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

I only had issues with wait staff/service staff in paris. the people for the most part were cool. my French was rusty, though I found if I filled my lack of knowledge with Portuguese rather then English I got much better responses.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on September 05, 2019, 08:21:37 AM
I too wasn't overly impressed with paris. the museums were cool though. I was only there for like 2 days though

That's my general impression too. I think I've been 3 times: 1 day, 5 day and 3 day trips.

Not terrible, mind you, but nothing I'd highly recommend either.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on September 05, 2019, 08:23:26 AM
I only had issues with wait staff/service staff in paris. the people for the most part were cool. my French was rusty, though I found if I filled my lack of knowledge with Portuguese rather then English I got much better responses.

The last time I was in Paris, I had a waitress apologize for her skill level in English! :o

Valmy

The French are amazingly shitty at English which they are taught every year they are in school btw  :P

But it gets worse outside of Paris.

Anyway Paris is the world's greatest city. You people make me sad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I'd love to see the City of Lights.  I'd be a total square and mostly do the tourist things like look at the museums.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017