News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Meri does Europe - Dec 2019 edition

Started by merithyn, July 25, 2019, 05:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on July 29, 2019, 11:51:34 AM

Also, I've never been debilitatingly sick due to an illness. I honestly don't remember ever having had the flu, and even when I had walking pneumonia, I was able to power through and take care of myself. Short of a serious accident, this just isn't something I'm overly worried about.

I've not been as robust. A couple of times when travelling through SE Asia I got so sick I thought I was in serious trouble, with really debilitating symptoms. If my GF (now wife) wasn't with me, I'd have been in a lot worse shape.

My biggest fears while travelling were getting violently mugged, having my stuff (passport, money) stolen without being mugged, and getting badly ill - and of the three, only the last actually happened.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 06, 2019, 01:31:04 PM

NYE period is not the best time of the year, but I might still be around, as in not in Portugal.
If you go from London to Paris, I assume you will go by train, more practical and faster. Brazen speaks French so should be able to travel around in Paris but if Gare du Nord or the complexity of the Parisian transportation network scare you I can give pointers if need be.

Dude, I'm an American going to Europe over the holidays. Of *course* I'm going to be in Paris for NYE!

Yes to the chunnel to Paris from London. Brazen hasn't solidified going yet, so I may be on my own, and yes, tips on the train are appreciated! :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Adjusted the itinerary a bit.

Suggestions for good day-trips from Barcelona?

Sheilbh

If you're on public transport I'd pop up to Girona.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2019, 04:47:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2019, 03:14:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2019, 03:03:27 PM
My biggest concern travelling solo would be getting sick.

In what way?

If I get sick abroad, and I'm by myself, I'd have no-one to help me.

I've known people in this situation and it was difficult and frightening for them - you may be totally helpless and incapacitated by illness, and reliant on complete strangers and an unfamiliar healthcare system.

Yeah, I've heard harrowing stories. A friend of mine once passed out on a bus and woke up in a strange house hooked up to an IV trip with a Georgian babushka staring down at him.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Zoupa

I'd cut down on Barcelona time and adjust to more days in Paris or London but that's just my personal preference.

I quite enjoyed Valencia, in the general vicinity of Barcelona. Might be hard for a day trip though, can't recall how long the train ride was.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on September 04, 2019, 01:14:45 AM
I'd cut down on Barcelona time and adjust to more days in Paris or London but that's just my personal preference.

I quite enjoyed Valencia, in the general vicinity of Barcelona. Might be hard for a day trip though, can't recall how long the train ride was.

Euromed service takes a little bit more than 3 hours.

garbon

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on September 02, 2019, 04:58:25 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2019, 04:47:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2019, 03:14:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2019, 03:03:27 PM
My biggest concern travelling solo would be getting sick.

In what way?

If I get sick abroad, and I'm by myself, I'd have no-one to help me.

I've known people in this situation and it was difficult and frightening for them - you may be totally helpless and incapacitated by illness, and reliant on complete strangers and an unfamiliar healthcare system.

Yeah, I've heard harrowing stories. A friend of mine once passed out on a bus and woke up in a strange house hooked up to an IV trip with a Georgian babushka staring down at him.

I'm not sure solo travel in Western Europe is exactly comparable to solo travel in Georgia or as in Malthus's example - SE Asia.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Zoupa on September 04, 2019, 01:14:45 AM

Paris is a diversion and an excuse to say I've been. It's not really something I'm overly excited about (except for time with my potential travel mates). I've been to London several times, and while I'd move there tomorrow if I could, I've never been to Spain so I'm comfortable leaving that a little more time to explore.

Valencia has come up a couple of times, and it may be worth doing an overnight visit there. Not sure yet. Leaving myself room for flexibility on a lot of this trip for things such as that. :)

Zoupa

Paris, a diversion?????

You're dead to me  :mad:

merithyn

Quote from: Zoupa on September 04, 2019, 10:29:22 AM
Paris, a diversion?????

France sounds delightful. Paris? Not so much.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2019, 10:44:21 AM
Paris, a diversion?????

Now I've never been to Paris, and you know that I'm all about the rustic countryside... but there's still something about a major world city like London, New York, or I assume Paris.  I'm sure you'll have an amazing time, even if you wouldn't want to live there.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on September 04, 2019, 11:58:57 AM
Now I've never been to Paris, and you know that I'm all about the rustic countryside... but there's still something about a major world city like London, New York, or I assume Paris.  I'm sure you'll have an amazing time, even if you wouldn't want to live there.

I'm sure there will be things about it that I find absolutely delightful. It's just not a dream destination for me. :)

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2019, 10:44:21 AM
Paris, a diversion?????

The jealous and petty smearing of Paris by the provincials has gone too far! :ultra:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on September 04, 2019, 12:06:34 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 04, 2019, 11:58:57 AM

I'm sure there will be things about it that I find absolutely delightful. It's just not a dream destination for me. :)

Ah. Well maybe you just have to visit first -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."