News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Meri does Europe - Dec 2019 edition

Started by merithyn, July 25, 2019, 05:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

So, I mentioned this in the back room, but now that my schedule is pretty set, I thought I'd bring it to the main page to see who might be interested in a couple of meet ups while I'm "across the pond".

Schedule
Dec 9 - Dec 15 - Barcelona
Dec 15 - Dec 18 - Naples
Dec 18 - Dec 26 - Rome
Dec 26 - Dec 30 - London
Dec 30 - Jan 3 - Paris

My birthday is December 13, which is a Friday this year, so celedrhing (and possibly Larchie?? :unsure: ) will be meeting me for a few beers in Barcelona. Brazen and I are getting together at some point in London (and she may travel with me to Paris!).

Anyone else up for meeting up?

EDIT: I've removed Mallorca from the schedule and shifted more days to Barcelona and Rome. Mallorca may be a day-trip, but I'd rather have more time in the bigger cities.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

I'd happily meet you in Rome, but a little short on cash.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

It was a pleasure to meet celedhring in Barcelona merithyn. We had a great lunch at a local spot away from the worst tourist traps and he imparted very valuable heuristics on how to get the most out of my Barcelona stay. Only thing I regret is not getting a chance to lift something heavy with him.  :thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

merithyn

Quote from: Legbiter on July 26, 2019, 09:56:11 AM
It was a pleasure to meet celedhring in Barcelona merithyn. We had a great lunch at a local spot away from the worst tourist traps and he imparted very valuable heuristics on how to get the most out of my Barcelona stay. Only thing I regret is not getting a chance to lift something heavy with him.  :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to Barcelona, in particular because of meeting celedhring. ^_^

Eddie Teach

Only thing I regret is not getting a chance to lift something heavy with him.  :thumbsup:

Who picked up the check?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

r/solotravel is freaking brilliant, by the way. Nearly all of my concerns regarding solo travel are gone thanks to that subreddit. :wub:

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 26, 2019, 01:59:21 PM
r/solotravel is freaking brilliant, by the way. Nearly all of my concerns regarding solo travel are gone thanks to that subreddit. :wub:

What did you have beyond safety?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

My biggest concern travelling solo would be getting sick.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2019, 03:03:27 PM

In what way?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 26, 2019, 11:24:27 AM
Only thing I regret is not getting a chance to lift something heavy with him.  :thumbsup:

Who picked up the check?

Moi.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2019, 03:14:47 PM

In what way?

If I get sick abroad, and I'm by myself, I'd have no-one to help me.

I've known people in this situation and it was difficult and frightening for them - you may be totally helpless and incapacitated by illness, and reliant on complete strangers and an unfamiliar healthcare system.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

ulmont

Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2019, 04:47:16 PM

In what way?

I've known people in this situation and it was difficult and frightening for them - you may be totally helpless and incapacitated by illness, and reliant on complete strangers and an unfamiliar healthcare system.

Luckily, for USians, traveling virtually anywhere else in the world means dealing with a superior healthcare system.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2019, 02:03:15 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 26, 2019, 01:59:21 PM

What did you have beyond safety?

Safety is a big one, of course. But additionally, I was afraid that as an older woman staying in hostels, I would have a hard time finding people to connect with. Most of my friends are younger (30s and early 40s), so I know that I can get along well with the "younger" crowd. But they don't know me, and I'm never sure how I come off to others. I'm Midwest Friendly, which helps, and in general I inherited my mom's ability to make friends anywhere (like a grocery store check-out line), but I had no idea how that age difference would factor into things abroad.

I guess, in short, I worried about being lonely and depressed traveling alone. It's been an ongoing issue here in Portland as I struggle to find people to do things with, and my fear was that it would follow me to Europe. Others on the subreddit expressed a similar concern, and there has been some great suggestions to help with those fears. Additionally, the stories that others have told (of travelers my age fitting right in) have helped.

Plus, things like where do I store my backpack in hostels during the day, what types of locks should I have on me, etc. Just little things that I've worried about that others have addressed. It's been nice.

merithyn

Quote from: ulmont on July 26, 2019, 09:47:40 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2019, 04:47:16 PM

In what way?

Luckily, for USians, traveling virtually anywhere else in the world means dealing with a superior healthcare system.

You are so not wrong....

Also, I've never been debilitatingly sick due to an illness. I honestly don't remember ever having had the flu, and even when I had walking pneumonia, I was able to power through and take care of myself. Short of a serious accident, this just isn't something I'm overly worried about.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: merithyn on July 25, 2019, 05:37:51 PM
So, I mentioned this in the back room, but now that my schedule is pretty set, I thought I'd bring it to the main page to see who might be interested in a couple of meet ups while I'm "across the pond".

Schedule

Dec 30 - Jan 3 - Paris

My birthday is December 13, which is a Friday this year, so celedrhing (and possibly Larchie?? :unsure: ) will be meeting me for a few beers in Barcelona. Brazen and I are getting together at some point in London (and she may travel with me to Paris!).

Anyone else up for meeting up?

NYE period is not the best time of the year, but I might still be around, as in not in Portugal.
If you go from London to Paris, I assume you will go by train, more practical and faster. Brazen speaks French so should be able to travel around in Paris but if Gare du Nord or the complexity of the Parisian transportation network scare you I can give pointers if need be.