News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Walking the Camino de Santiago

Started by Pedrito, July 25, 2019, 03:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

The only advice I can give, not having done the Camino myself, is to look up a former colleague of mine, Georges Greenia, one of the foremost expert on the Camino. You may also stumble upon him there - he does some part of the camino every year or so.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2019, 04:01:39 PMThe catholic church should introduce goshuin.

If you mean a seal system to prove you've done the pilgrimage, there's one in place. If you mean fancy caligraphic seals, yeah no.

Maladict

Pedrito, what do you use for navigation?

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Four of my partners did it.  Two in their early 60s and two in their later 60s.  All enjoyed it immensely and found it not difficult at all.  Basically you can make it as hard or easy as you want - just plan your stays along the route accordingly.  :)

Edit: I should say Mrs. CC did the route from Portugal with a group of her friends and they also had a very enjoyable time.

Syt

Should a pilgrimage be "enjoyable"? Shouldn't it be a time of pious introspection?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2019, 04:07:55 PM
Should a pilgrimage be "enjoyable"? Shouldn't it be a time of pious introspection?

Not if you ask Chaucer.

Oexmelin

I like Greenia's simple definition of a pilgrimage: travel for transformation. How it happens, and what the scope of that transformation is, varies tremendously.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 29, 2019, 04:58:13 PM

I like Greenia's simple definition of a pilgrimage: travel for transformation. How it happens, and what the scope of that transformation is, varies tremendously.

That is a nice way of putting it.

Maladict

There is plenty of time for both when you're alone with just your thoughts and the scenery for 8+ hours a day.

Pedrito

Quote from: Maladict on July 28, 2019, 08:24:59 AM
Pedrito, what do you use for navigation?
Usually I have the View Ranger app installed, it's well done and useful for mountain trekking. I dunno if it covers the Camino route and if it can signal accommodations and other info.
A friend of mine swears OruxMaps is the best navigation map out there, I've yet to try it.
More specifically about the Camino, I've bought an Italian paper guide (from the same publisher I've named in Mal's thread), with a lot of info: maps, height charts, hostels, possible alternative routes, etc.
There's a good app, Buen Camino, that gives lots of info, and can help you plan the daily route. It gives info about all the different routes (Frances, del Norte, Aragones, etc.), and one needs to pay for the route he wants, but I did not pay anything and had the Camino Frances already active, so better for me  :D

L
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

The Larch

I don't really think you need so much stuff for the Camino. At least the Spanish stages are tipically well signalled, the stages are pretty standard and there are plenty of pilgrim hostels all around.

Pedrito

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 27, 2019, 05:05:58 PM
The only advice I can give, not having done the Camino myself, is to look up a former colleague of mine, Georges Greenia, one of the foremost expert on the Camino. You may also stumble upon him there - he does some part of the camino every year or so.

Thanks Oex for the info, I did not know the guy. His definition of pilgrimage is really spot-on for how I intend it to be, should I find some of his texts I'll read more from him.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

Quote from: Pedrito on July 30, 2019, 05:45:36 AM

Usually I have the View Ranger app installed, it's well done and useful for mountain trekking. I dunno if it covers the Camino route and if it can signal accommodations and other info.
A friend of mine swears OruxMaps is the best navigation map out there, I've yet to try it.
More specifically about the Camino, I've bought an Italian paper guide (from the same publisher I've named in Mal's thread), with a lot of info: maps, height charts, hostels, possible alternative routes, etc.
There's a good app, Buen Camino, that gives lots of info, and can help you plan the daily route. It gives info about all the different routes (Frances, del Norte, Aragones, etc.), and one needs to pay for the route he wants, but I did not pay anything and had the Camino Frances already active, so better for me  :D

L

I've gone full digital too, using the Komoot app which allows for offline voice navigation on OSM maps. Pretty happy with it, but I'm wondering if it would be too risky in sparsely inhabited areas. If I drop the phone I'm screwed.

Grey Fox

My friend Thibaud did it 2 years ago started in Pau, his hometown. He plans on doing it again next year or 2.

He's a party animal so somedays had almost no progress because he was too hung over.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.