Have I become less comprehensible as the years have gone by?

Started by Razgovory, July 24, 2019, 12:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

If you are starting to get into your 40s and beyond, having the occasional short-term memory issue is not unusual.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 24, 2019, 04:25:19 PM
If you are starting to get into your 40s and beyond, having the occasional short-term memory issue is not unusual.

The mind is like fine wine.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on July 24, 2019, 12:46:45 PM
I sure as hell won't start a similar thread question about me.   :blush:

:D

No worries there. You've always been incomprehensible.     :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I think worsening memory is a normal part of growing older.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 24, 2019, 04:25:19 PM

Nonsense. I am almost 40 and I don't remember anything that I have forgotten.

The Minsky Moment

I wouldn't start to worry too much zsdtr als(cnq ;aosd= unless you start having difficulty reading words "sdfkl;a lakf masnmd  or start imagining that you are seeing gibberish when l;ASKda;fkn  ZbnBcfA:Onhj;AS  you read.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on July 24, 2019, 12:19:06 AM
I've been having trouble with working memory and cognition recently and I think it might be caused by some of the medications I have been taking long term. 

I didn't notice anything stranger than usual.

Some meds can and do affect your brains in ways you don't suspect and give you dementia symptoms, I just read about it this week-end.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

saskganesh

It's not that we are more forgetful, it's just that we have more to remember.

Anyhow, quit sugar. Try marijuana. Then run ten miles. And enjoy every minute.
humans were created in their own image

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: saskganesh on July 29, 2019, 01:28:31 PM

Running ten miles in your late 30s will boost your cardio.  And likely destroy your knees.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 29, 2019, 01:53:09 PM

Running ten miles in your late 30s will boost your cardio.  And likely destroy your knees.

Yeah, running is hard on the joints but it isn't just cardio that improves - so other types of exercise are highly recommended.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-simply-moving-benefits-your-mental-health-201603289350

saskganesh

Well, it depends. There is a large drop off in male runners from age 45 on, but that said, some dudes run marathons in their 80's.

Anyhow, the best thing about running is the accessibility. It fits any schedule, has low cost of entry (legs and shoes), can be done solo or in a group, distance/pace is totally up to the runner and the effects are profound
humans were created in their own image

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on July 30, 2019, 07:50:23 PM

Well, it depends. There is a large drop off in male runners from age 45 on, but that said, some dudes run marathons in their 80's.

Anyhow, the best thing about running is the accessibility. It fits any schedule, has low cost of entry (legs and shoes), can be done solo or in a group, distance/pace is totally up to the runner and the effects are profound

Sasks, you're doing a fine job of selling it.  :)

:hmm:  ......   :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"