And we're back!

Main Menu

Walking the Camino de Santiago

Started by Pedrito, July 25, 2019, 03:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

Hey everyone,

long time no see, how are all of you?

Has any Languishite ever walked the most famous of the old pilgrim ways? Some people I know, and not many of them are very religious people, did at least some parts of the Camino, and they say it's a very interesting experience, to say the least.
I love to walk, even if I've never made a long-distance hike like this (in its classical form it's 800 kms, from Saint Jean Pied-de-Port in the Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela), and I'm pondering about doing it, although for work-related issues it would be very difficult for me to take a 30-day uninterrupted leave, so I'm thinking about dividing it in two 400-km stints to do in two different years.
Opinions, advice (if there's someone who has done other multi-day hikes, too), suggestions?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

Not a lot I can help you with, but I'm planning a walk to Italy myself. It's also going to be a multi year affair, as I can't really afford more than about 10 days a year probably.

If you're going for the pilgrim experience and contemplation you should probably go as long as possible without interruption.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

A couple of my mates have done it (none of whom are religious as far as I know). I just hiked along the Pyrenees Aragonian trail when I was a kid.

Usually one does the last bit, starting from wherever your constraints allow (time, money, fitness). But there are tons of alternatives (https://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/caminos/caminos.asp

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maladict on July 25, 2019, 03:43:18 PM
Not a lot I can help you with, but I'm planning a walk to Italy myself. It's also going to be a multi year affair, as I can't really afford more than about 10 days a year probably.

If you're going for the pilgrim experience and contemplation you should probably go as long as possible without interruption.

How will this work?  Walk toward Italy for 10 days, then next year drive out to that spot and walk another 10 days?

The Larch

And you posted precisely in Santiago's day, coincidence?  :lol:

Nowadays the whole Camino experience is not particulary religious at all, it's basically touristic nowadays, and pretty secular.

As Iorm said, there are plenty of options and routes depending on where you come from and other constraints. AFAIK in order to earn the official pilgrimage credentials you have to walk at least for 5 days (or 100 km, can't remember), with other timeframes for people going by bike or by horse, which are also officially allowed as means of transportation. It's not really necessary to begin at St Jean Pied de Port either, for instance many people start directly in the Spanish side of the Pyrenees at Roncesvalles. If you want to get hardcore you can even start at home in Italy, go all over Northern Italy and Southern France, cross the Pyrenees in Somport, and then join the main route in Puente la Reina.

In any case, let me know when you intend to be around and I'll hop over for some beers. :cheers:

merithyn

Quote from: Pedrito on July 25, 2019, 03:34:04 PM
Hey everyone,

long time no see, how are all of you?

Has any Languishite ever walked the most famous of the old pilgrim ways? Some people I know, and not many of them are very religious people, did at least some parts of the Camino, and they say it's a very interesting experience, to say the least.
I love to walk, even if I've never made a long-distance hike like this (in its classical form it's 800 kms, from Saint Jean Pied-de-Port in the Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela), and I'm pondering about doing it, although for work-related issues it would be very difficult for me to take a 30-day uninterrupted leave, so I'm thinking about dividing it in two 400-km stints to do in two different years.
Opinions, advice (if there's someone who has done other multi-day hikes, too), suggestions?

L.

Hey, Pedrito!

I'm looking at doing this next year in October with a group of friends. Because I'm also going to Germany for two weeks in June, my PTO is limited, but I may go for one week with them. My friends are taking this rather seriously, doing "build-up" hiking, practice camping, etc. They'll be doing the full 30-day hike.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2019, 04:00:11 PM

How will this work?  Walk toward Italy for 10 days, then next year drive out to that spot and walk another 10 days?

Yeah, basically pick up where I left off the year before. That's how I've been doing my cross country walks, single day stages between train stations.

Taking a week off gives me 9 days, minus 2 travel days leaves 7 walking days. If I can manage about 250km I should reach Venice in five years.

Admiral Yi

And what's up with the meta-theme of the trip?

Are you doing a reverse "Spanish Road?"  :nerd: :nerd:

Admiral Yi

Never mind, that wouldn't end in Venice.

Maladict

I'll take this elsewehere, don't want to clog up P's thread

Pedrito

@ Maladict: Ideally I would love to make all the Camino in a single trip, because the meditation/contemplation aspect is very important, but it requires one full month; either my midlife crisis hits even harder than I expect, and I decide to give up work and family for 30 days, or I'll be forced to divide it in two parts, 15 days from SJPDP to Burgos one year, and from Burgos to SdC the next.

About your trip, should you decide to pass through or near Padua, I'll be more than happy to walk some miles with you, and exchange a couple of beers. If you're interested, I've read good things about the Via degli Dei, about 100 kms across the Appennines from Bologna to Florence. If you need some info, just ask, because I'm thinking about doing it next year around Easter time, as a training for Santiago. And if you need info about some mountain trekking  in the Dolomites, too.

@ Iorm, Larch: I don't want to do only the 100 kms needed to get the compostela, because i'll do it for personal reasons, not for religious ones. I was thinking along the lines of Maladict, of getting far and away for some time every year; i'm studying the possibility of doing the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Rome, but it would require at least three months of commitment (only the italian part, starting from Aosta, is almost 1000 kms...) Your offer for a beer is a welcome one, when I'll be in Galicia :cheers:  Oh, about Santiago day: I completely forgot about it, but my subconscious brain was at work it seems  :D

@ Meri: glad to see someone else is going to do it, at least in part; let me know which part of the Camino you're going to hike, and from what I've read be very careful about the weather, because in October it's not unusual getting snow in the Pyrenees. Keep me updated!

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

Quote from: Pedrito on July 26, 2019, 06:04:41 AM
About your trip, should you decide to pass through or near Padua, I'll be more than happy to walk some miles with you, and exchange a couple of beers. If you're interested, I've read good things about the Via degli Dei, about 100 kms across the Appennines from Bologna to Florence. If you need some info, just ask, because I'm thinking about doing it next year around Easter time, as a training for Santiago. And if you need info about some mountain trekking  in the Dolomites, too.

I will definitely take you up on all of that  :)

Josquius

Someday I fancy doing the pilgrim trail in Shikoku.
The catholic church should introduce goshuin.

Sounds awesome though, wonderful to have the time for it
██████
██████
██████