News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Modernity, Religion, Progress

Started by Oexmelin, July 19, 2019, 07:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 23, 2019, 12:55:44 PM
There are huge problems with generalizing about things like "Taoism", "Hinduism" and "Buddhism" - even moreso than about generalizing about things like "Christianity" and "Islam". And these problems point directly to the subject under debate.

Basically, these former labels each cover a huge range of beliefs, creeds and philosophies. "Hinduism", for example, is often used as a short-hand for the religious traditions of India (where they aren't labelled as something else, like Buddhism or Jainsim). There are aspects of these which are clearly religions, and other aspects which are more philosophical systems. The religious aspects include creation myths (several!).

Similarly, Buddhism has aspects which are clearly philosophical ways of looking at the world, and aspects which are clearly religious - some sects of Buddhism are very similar to Catholicism, having saints, heavens, hells, prayers, etc.

Taoism is likewise often divided into "religious" and "philosophical" Taoism; the former is very similar to some types of Buddhism.

Sure, and for that reason making a specific claim that all that falls under those labels has no creation story is very problematic.  It is the same problem JR has in the definitions offered.  It all amounts to special pleading by focusing on the aspects of the religious beliefs that agree with their position without acknowledging the other bits that do not.

Valmy

Basically, these former labels each cover a huge range of beliefs, creeds and philosophies. "Hinduism", for example, is often used as a short-hand for the religious traditions of India (where they aren't labelled as something else, like Buddhism or Jainsim).

And, of course, back in the day people did not realize those were actually different religions.

I found it fascinating how Hinduism is such a bizarrely big umbrella...yet somehow also spread itself beyond India and into Indonesia and other places. "Have you heard the massive amounts of good news?" The Hindu missionaries would say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 22, 2019, 06:28:48 PM

Again, I think I have addressed that in my post above which everyone seems to have ignored. The problem we face is two-fold.

Well, to be honest, I didn't quite understand it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2019, 02:35:22 PM
Basically, these former labels each cover a huge range of beliefs, creeds and philosophies. "Hinduism", for example, is often used as a short-hand for the religious traditions of India (where they aren't labelled as something else, like Buddhism or Jainsim).

And, of course, back in the day people did not realize those were actually different religions.

I found it fascinating how Hinduism is such a bizarrely big umbrella...yet somehow also spread itself beyond India and into Indonesia and other places. "Have you heard the massive amounts of good news?" The Hindu missionaries would say.

Heh the Cambodians at least seemed to have been obsessed with two things from the Hindu mythology: the so-called "churning of the sea of milk" episode, and the adventures found in the Ramayana.

Whole walls of Angkor Wat were carved with scenes of the Monkey Army fighting demons:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.