News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Policing while black

Started by Zoupa, July 14, 2019, 12:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/Security-guard-pulls-gun-on-Lucas-County-Sheriffs-deputy-512552471.html

Scary moments caught on tape. A Lucas County Sheriff's deputy in uniform has a gun pulled on him by a security guard.

Now that security guard is facing criminal charges as the deputy wraps his head around almost being killed in what should have been a very basic situation.

That deputy came here to 4 Seagate to ask a question at the IRS office. A step that nearly cost him his life.

As Lucas County Sheriff's deputy Alan Gaston enters the IRS office, he's in full uniform with his badge with his firearm visible.

He was on duty May 31st but says he stopped at the office for a phone number to ask about a letter he got from the IRS. Deputy Gaston says the guard told him he needed to put his gun in his car. Gaston said he couldn't do that. The conversation ends with a gun pointed at the deputy's back. Gaston vividly remembers "that" moment.

"Basically preparing myself to be shot at that moment. Bracing for a shot in my back," said Gaston.

The whole thing caught on security cameras, as the guard follows deputy Gaston to the elevator with the gun out and it appear his finger very close to the trigger. The guard then tries to take Gaston into custody, once again with the gun drawn.

"There's really no way to know how you're going to act when there's a gun pointed at you and when you think you're going to lose your life," said Gaston.

Gaston works as a defensive tactics instructor. He says he felt the best way to de-escalate the situation was to walk away. Eventually Toledo police arrived after getting a 911 call. But the caller from inside the IRS office never tells 911 the man with the gun is a uniformed deputy sheriff.

Gaston's biggest concern as this incident unfolded were the other people in the office.

"If I'm going to get shot, like I thought I was, it's not fair. They came in there to do their business," said Gaston.

Gaston and his wife have now filed a civil lawsuit against that security guard Seth Eklund and the security company seeking compensation after Gaston allegedly suffered emotion and psychological distress and lost wages.

He's currently on medical leave from the Lucas County Sheriff's department. Gaston has a message for the guard.

"I would say 'Clearly your training is lacking and the fact that you went 0 to 100. Lethal force is unacceptable," said Gaston.

That guard, Eklund, is facing one charge of aggravated menacing. He's set to be in court next week.

13abc tried to reach Eklund for comment but we could not reach him. We have also asked the IRS for a comment but have not heard back yet.

Well, that's a new one.

The Brain

Blazing Saddles in 3, 2, 1...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

Eddie Teach

This story does make me wonder, are there situations where cops are not allowed to carry firearms?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 14, 2019, 10:17:28 PM
This story does make me wonder, are there situations where cops are not allowed to carry firearms?

Some, but not many.  Jails (excuser me, gaols) are the only one that comes to mind, but there may be a few others.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Some federal buildings, but usually officers in uniforms don't have to take their guns off.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...