Epstein booked for trafficking underaged girls

Started by jimmy olsen, July 08, 2019, 06:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2019, 09:57:54 AM
Tim just wants this stuff to be true.

That doesn't mean that it's not true.

I don't know if it's true or not, but based on what we do know of Trump's personality, it's certainly believable.

Still, I think you're probably right--if it was someone whose policies Timmay approved of, he'd probably be posting stuff defending the person.

The Minsky Moment

The facts that are known and undeniable are awful enough one does not need to latch on to unverifiable accounts.  The facts are that Trump was friends with and partied regularly with a notorious sexual predator, that Trump specifically singled out taste in women as a shared trait, that Trump was fully aware of Epstein's taste for young girls at the time he was partying with Epstein, and that Trump himself has admitted to assaulting women sexually.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

merithyn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2019, 12:36:43 PM
The facts that are known and undeniable are awful enough one does not need to latch on to unverifiable accounts.  The facts are that Trump was friends with and partied regularly with a notorious sexual predator, that Trump specifically singled out taste in women as a shared trait, that Trump was fully aware of Epstein's taste for young girls at the time he was partying with Epstein, and that Trump himself has admitted to assaulting women sexually.

And yet....

I don't even know anymore what's "enough". I mean, he's gone so far off the deep end in so many ways, and he still has 40% approval.

As for Epstein, I hope that fucker ends up in solitary confinement for life. Let him live in his own head until the day he dies.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on July 11, 2019, 11:43:15 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2019, 01:43:50 PM
Really? Is child rape something you can just "fake news" away?

You're kidding, right? To his base, these aren't "children", and it's not rape. They're femme fatale teenaged "women" who got paid, so what's the big deal? Their lives were made better by being involved in all of this. After all, if it were that bad, why would some of the "women" turn into pimps for him once they got too old to be of use in his bedroom? Clearly it's not that big of a deal.

Sheesh, Valmy. You just don't understand these "women". They'll get you any chance they can.

Sadly, that's probably the 'thinking' of a big chunk of his base, the rest will just try and ignore it, then focus on the 'positives', like 'he says what he thinks' etc.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on July 11, 2019, 12:30:36 PM
Still, I think you're probably right--if it was someone whose policies Timmay approved of, he'd probably be posting stuff defending the person.
Nope. I demanded Franken's resignation over a hell of a lot less than this and I loved him.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

Tim, I love you and defend you 99% of the time, but why would you demand Franken's resignation?

IIRC, all the scandal was about that photo right?

HVC

Iirc like 5 or 6 women accused him of groping
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HVC on July 11, 2019, 10:51:34 PM
Iirc like 5 or 6 women accused him of groping
Yup, one can be forgiven, but it was obviously a pattern of behavior.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on July 12, 2019, 09:20:22 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2019, 02:02:55 AM
Yup, one can be forgiven
:hmm:

Choose carefully - you only get one free grope!  :P

[I think what he meant to say was that one may be a case of mistake, but many = a pattern, making it more likely there was no mistake involved.]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Acosta resigns: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/12/politics/alex-acosta-donald-trump-labor-secretary/index.html

QuoteWashington (CNN)President Donald Trump announced Friday that Labor Secretary Alex Acosta has resigned, a move that comes after furor over a plea deal with Jeffrey Epstein.

Acosta has been under renewed scrutiny over his previous role as the US attorney in Miami, during which he negotiated the 2008 plea deal with Epstein. Epstein, a well-connected multi-millionaire, avoided a federal trial at the time and served only 13 months in prison for state prostitution charges over his involvement with underage girls. A Miami Herald investigation published last November described the plea deal, negotiated by Acosta, as the "deal of a lifetime."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: merithyn on July 11, 2019, 03:19:57 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 11, 2019, 12:36:43 PM

And yet....

I don't even know anymore what's "enough". I mean, he's gone so far off the deep end in so many ways, and he still has 40% approval.

As for Epstein, I hope that fucker ends up in solitary confinement for life. Let him live in his own head until the day he dies.

nah, you want him out in Gen Pop.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on July 12, 2019, 09:20:22 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 12, 2019, 02:02:55 AM
Yup, one can be forgiven
:hmm:

The woman in question forgave him, and while bad, it was clearly an act far lower in severity than the acts attributed to Trump, Cosby, etc. So if it was a one time thing, like Malthus says we can accept it as a mistake, but more than that and it's a pattern of predation and exploitation.

1 Karma Chameleon point