Epstein booked for trafficking underaged girls

Started by jimmy olsen, July 08, 2019, 06:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2019, 09:06:42 AM
Yeah but incompetence is the simplest explanation.

It always is. That doesn't mean it is always the correct explanation. Can't rule it out without evidence to the contrary, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Indeed.

The discussion above is part of the reason - if it wasn't incompetence, the guards would have to have had a really strong motive (like a big pay out). Which ought to be reasonably easy for investigators to discover, even if steps are taken to disguise it.

In short - if it wasn't incompetence, we can expect some evidence of malice to surface.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

It's a large organization, probably very understaffed and those working there are not the best and brightest. Hence, massive fuckups on a regular basis.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

You have to be pretty fucking incompetent to accidentally strangle yourself.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Also habit.

Most people will try to take the shortest path. That's why we have audits.

If these centers have deficient auditing schemes, I guarantee that inspections are missed and checklists routinely faked. Because nothing ever happens. It ends up being part of the job.

Sophie Scholl

We still have access to his seconds, his victims, and all manner of other witnesses.  To think he would have magically spilled everything seems strange.  Though I'm not ruling out foul play, I lean toward a simple suicide at this point.  He had a lot to fear in terms of a long prison stay and the more that came out the less that his heirs would stand to inherit I presume.  Might as well off himself before reaching general population or seeing all of his assets seized to pay his victims.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 16, 2019, 01:15:48 AM
Quote from: dps on August 16, 2019, 12:42:41 AM
I have a suspicion that a lot of guards wouldn't have to be paid to turn a blind eye towards a prisoner trying to kill himself.
Almost every CO I know and have encountered are very right wing.  Say it is for the good of Trump and The Party, and they'd assist in any way they could.

Everyone I met was pretty right wing as well.  They were to a man, blithering idiots.  For instance there was the occasion when a big moving truck from the prison came to the central office.  Two inmates got out of the cab, walked around back, and opened the door to the truck and two CO's jumped out.  We once had an off duty CO die during a fishing trip because he tried to swallow a living fish.  Last word were something to the effect "Hey guys, watch this".  The only saving grace is that most of the inmates are just as stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on August 16, 2019, 09:04:36 AM
Quote from: dps on August 16, 2019, 07:58:05 AM

If he was jailed for investment fraud or some other type of white-collar crime, maybe.  But for a pedophile?

The issue is the amount of heat they would have to take after the body was found.

The guards would have to have known that they would be raked over the coals by investigators if someone this high profile dies on their watch. The consequences for them personally are likely to be bad. So if it wasn't simply incompetence, they must have had a strong motive to take such a risk.

No doubt plenty of guards would not give a damn if a prisoner offs himself, particularly a wealthy pedophile. However, they do give a damn about themselves.

Officers almost never get in trouble for straight up killing unarmed people on the street. Due to this their risk assessment is skewed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Legbiter on August 16, 2019, 09:55:00 AM
It's a large organization, probably very understaffed and those working there are not the best and brightest. Hence, massive fuckups on a regular basis.

It's only the 2nd suicide in that facility in the last 21 years IIRC, so they don't fuck up that often.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen
Officers almost never get in trouble for straight up killing unarmed people on the street. Due to this their risk assessment is skewed.

What does that have to do with prison guards?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 17, 2019, 10:33:34 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen

What does that have to do with prison guards?
I think that police officers and corrections officers have similar mentalities.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Mentalities, sure. You were talking about experiences.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

I've been to that facility many times, always seemed pretty buttoned down, and they've had high profile prisoners there without much incident.
But you never really know
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 17, 2019, 08:07:33 PM
I've been to that facility many times, always seemed pretty buttoned down, and they've had high profile prisoners there without much incident.
But you never really know

I thought you were in M&A for some reason. Perchance are you a VP at Pierce & Pierce?