News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tour de France 2019

Started by Liep, July 06, 2019, 09:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Before stage 1: This year will be Fuglsang's year!
With 20 km to finish line on stage 1: Next year will be Fuglsang's year!

He's a fighter, finishing the stage with blood streaming down his face, but he just cannot manage to stay on his bike through a whole tour. :(

Luckily there's a record number of Danes in this year's edition so plenty of stage wins to hope for.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 06, 2019, 09:34:54 AM
Before stage 1: This year will be Fuglsang's year!
With 20 km to finish line on stage 1: Next year will be Fuglsang's year!

He's a fighter, finishing the stage with blood streaming down his face, but he just cannot manage to stay on his bike through a whole tour. :(

Luckily there's a record number of Danes in this year's edition so plenty of stage wins to hope for.

Sad, but nether the less and enjoyable first stage.   :cool:

Should be an interesting tour, what with a couple of less Brits in it this year and new blood talent emerging.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Is this thing still riddled by druggies? Loved watching Le Tour until pretty much every great champ from the 1990s and 2000s was outed as a cheat. That put me off watching the sport.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2019, 02:44:42 AM
Is this thing still riddled by druggies? Loved watching Le Tour until pretty much every great champ from the 1990s and 2000s was outed as a cheat. That put me off watching the sport.

They've probably had greater success against the drug cheats then international weight-lifting has.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Legbiter

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 07, 2019, 03:24:31 PMEven pétanque and curling ?!  :o

QuoteThe Russian curler Alexander Krushelnitsky has been formally charged with a doping offence by the Court of Arbitration for Sport after testing positive for the banned substance meldonium. He is now likely to be stripped of his mixed curling bronze medal, won with his wife Anastasia Bryzgalova last week.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/19/russian-curler-banished-from-winter-olympics-after-failed-drug-test

:lol:  :mellow:

Even curling is not pure.

Legbiter

Ok this is just ridiculous.  :lol:

QuoteThe sleepy world of pétanque has been rocked by claims that Belgian players are turning to stronger stimulants than shots of pastis and drags of Gitanes cigarettes when bowling on the international stage.

The image of the jeu de boules, in which the bowler's feet must remain anchored to the ground, is that of elderly men in flat caps and string vests idling their days away under a fading sun.

But beyond the gravel strips found on squares and summer campsites across northern continental Europe, two leading players on the game's lively and cut-throat international stage have caused uproar by accusing their Belgian counterparts of snorting cocaine to secure a competitive edge.

"I know enough Belgian players who use coke," said Edward Vinke, 46, a top Dutch player, speaking to the Vice sports website. "They go to the toilet and do not throw a wrong ball when they come back. They really feel like the king."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/15/petanque-drug-allegations-cocaine-belgian-players

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Legbiter on July 07, 2019, 03:42:26 PM
Ok this is just ridiculous.  :lol:

QuoteThe sleepy world of pétanque has been rocked by claims that Belgian players are turning to stronger stimulants than shots of pastis and drags of Gitanes cigarettes when bowling on the international stage.

The image of the jeu de boules, in which the bowler's feet must remain anchored to the ground, is that of elderly men in flat caps and string vests idling their days away under a fading sun.

But beyond the gravel strips found on squares and summer campsites across northern continental Europe, two leading players on the game's lively and cut-throat international stage have caused uproar by accusing their Belgian counterparts of snorting cocaine to secure a competitive edge.

"I know enough Belgian players who use coke," said Edward Vinke, 46, a top Dutch player, speaking to the Vice sports website. "They go to the toilet and do not throw a wrong ball when they come back. They really feel like the king."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/15/petanque-drug-allegations-cocaine-belgian-players

:weep:

Old-school pétanque play vs coke head play...
Well, there are much better doping products than cocaine but I guess it still qualifies somewhat as doping.  :hmm:

PDH

Wasn't there a story a while back about PGA Tour pros having a high rate of doping?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Well timed and very deserved win by Julian Allaphillipe, Oh and he takes the yellow jersey too.  :cool:

PDH

That was a very nice finish on the La Planche des Belles Filles - when Tour riders are almost stopping and having to weave back and forth on a climb, any bike rider watching suffers along mentally.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on July 11, 2019, 09:24:22 PM
That was a very nice finish on the La Planche des Belles Filles - when Tour riders are almost stopping and having to weave back and forth on a climb, any bike rider watching suffers along mentally.

Yes, an epic ride.

Nice that the rider who lost out in the tussle to win the stage and who crossed the line shaking his head, got the consolation prize of the yellow jersey!

mongers

Stage 8 was a real classic bike race, definitely worth catching.