Author Topic: The federal indictment/fake news MEGATHREAD  (Read 68394 times)

DGuller

• Blessed by Valmy
Re: The federal indictment/fake news MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1665 on: July 25, 2019, 08:38:44 am »
I wonder if Trump overhyped Mueller and Rosenstein by constantly attacking them.

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
« Reply #1666 on: July 25, 2019, 12:10:27 pm »
Of course he could be indicted after he leaves office, statute of limitations permitting.  That's an obvious point.

For that matter, there is no legal impediment to indicting him, the obstacles are pragmatic.  Mueller couldn't because he believed himself subject to and bound by DOJ policy as expressed in the OLC memo.  The AG is not so bound - Bill Barr in theory could bring an indictment.  What stops that from happening is Barr doesn't want to and even if did he would get Saturday Night Massacred.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
« Reply #1667 on: July 25, 2019, 12:12:54 pm »
I wonder if Trump overhyped Mueller and Rosenstein by constantly attacking them.

Never understood why Democrats expected so much of them.  Both are and always have been conservative Republicans.  Mueller did all what was asked of him and all that reasonably could be expected; his report truly does speak for itself and it's not his fault no one reads it.  One can (and I personally) have quibbled with certain legal analysis but the factual findings are comprehensive and damning. The House has more than enough to impeach on that and other grounds and if they choose not to, it is for reasons of political calculation, not because Mueller failed to give them the ammo.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #1668 on: July 25, 2019, 12:33:10 pm »
I thought Mueller did what could reasonably be expected of him. He fulfilled his duties and obligations of his office. The investigation appears to have been responsible in its scope and diligent in its fact finding.

It is nice to know we can still do things like that even if the political atmosphere makes it rather pointless. Hopefully it has some information that could prove useful in the future task of protecting our elections.
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

The Minsky Moment

• Octogon Champion
  • Requiem for a Scheme
« Reply #1669 on: July 25, 2019, 01:51:25 pm »
My one criticism of Mueller is that he erred a bit too much on the side of caution.  The Trump Tower meeting case against Jr. was a viable case that I think a typical zealous prosecutor would have brought; the circumstances utterly and completely stink.  Mueller I believe wanted to ensure he didn't take any losses on his indictments on the fear that any legal setback would cast doubt on the entire project.  A little bit too risk averse given the principles at stake.

The other area he allowed himself to be spooked was the pressure to wrap up quickly, which fed directly into the decision not to subpoena Trump, something he had the authority to do under governing precedent.  It's clear from his report and testimony he believed the President's testimony was highly relevant and that the written answers were not credible so that no decision looms very large. The Mueller inquiry set a world record for speed as compared to the volume of work done and he shouldn't have let himself get manipulated by the BS propaganda narrative in the right wing press about timing.  IMO - he was personally sick of the job and wanted to wrap up fast for personal reasons of his own.
--Joan Robinson

Tyr

• Blessed by Valmy
  • In the end we will win
« Reply #1670 on: July 26, 2019, 03:44:47 am »
Jesus, its amazing how stupid and petty trumpys are

BBC News - Trump straws: How the US president is using straws to beat liberals with
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49090643
██████
██████
██████

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1671 on: July 26, 2019, 03:51:25 am »
Jesus, its amazing how stupid and petty trumpys are

BBC News - Trump straws: How the US president is using straws to beat liberals with
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49090643

Funny, this was on my sister's Facebook yesterday. :D

“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #1672 on: July 26, 2019, 09:26:45 am »
I hope she recycled the cup -_-
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus

Benedict Arnold

• Sugar Glider
  • Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!
« Reply #1673 on: July 27, 2019, 03:51:04 am »
"Love to my country actuates my present conduct, however it may appear inconsistent to the world, who very seldom judge right of any man's actions."

"...this was a bitter tormented soul, a sinner who mocked both gods and men. He served but found no pride in service. He fought but took no joy in victory. He drank, to drown his pain in a sea of wine. He did not love, nor was he loved himself."

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #1674 on: July 27, 2019, 04:52:22 am »
Hopefully it has some information that could prove useful in the future task of protecting our elections.

https://www.cnet.com/news/moscowmitch-trends-after-mcconnell-blocks-election-security-bills/

#MoscowMitch trends after McConnell blocks election security bills
“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe