Millennials growing horns at back of head

Started by Josephus, June 20, 2019, 11:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

I think I'll wait until...someone else looks into the issue.

QuoteDavid Shahar and Mark Sayers began looking at the issue when Shahar – a practising chiropractor who calls himself "Dr. Posture"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I mean do people really hold their phones up to their heads very often? These horns should be growing out of their hands.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2019, 11:49:44 AM
I mean do people really hold their phones up to their heads very often? These horns should be growing out of their hands.

As people tilt their heads forward to look at their screens, the researchers hypothesize, they increase the weight load on the muscles located at the back of the head, causing bone to grow to help the body cope. Better posture could help people avert this sensation, they said.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on June 20, 2019, 12:05:00 PM

As people tilt their heads forward to look at their screens, the researchers hypothesize, they increase the weight load on the muscles located at the back of the head, causing bone to grow to help the body cope. Better posture could help people avert this sensation, they said.

I don't think that is how bones work. If it was we could manipulate our bodies to grow all sorts of weird bones, and you know people would be all over that shit.

But what do I know? I am not a qualified medical professional unlike these chiropractors.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Threviel

Damn, that's bad, probably to do with vaccines. What does the local witches cabal have to say?

Valmy

Quote from: Threviel on June 20, 2019, 12:16:20 PM
Damn, that's bad, probably to do with vaccines. What does the local witches cabal have to say?

I better burn some herbs at my altar during the next full moon.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2019, 12:22:08 PM
Damn, that’s bad, probably to do with vaccines. What does the local witches cabal have to say?

Maybe you should sacrifice a virgin.  Wait, do you even have any of those in Texas?

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2019, 12:08:00 PM

I don't think that is how bones work. If it was we could manipulate our bodies to grow all sorts of weird bones, and you know people would be all over that shit.

But what do I know? I am not a qualified medical professional unlike these chiropractors.

it kind of sort of does, but only under much higher force then looking down. Attachment points for tendons can get bigger from repeated strenuous use (like English longbowman have some easily recognizable skeletons)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

alfred russel

Future generations, to which i will leave no genetic contribution, will marvel at my massive right forearm's tendon attachment points.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

QuoteThe remodeling of bone in response to loading is achieved via mechanotransduction, a process through which forces or other mechanical signals are converted to biochemical signals in cellular signaling.[7] Mechanotransduction leading to bone remodeling involve the steps of mechanocoupling, biochemical coupling, signal transmission, and cell response.[8] The specific effects on bone structure depends on the duration, magnitude and rate of loading, and it has been found that only cyclic loading can induce bone formation.[8] When loaded, fluid flows away from areas of high compressive loading in the bone matrix.[9] Osteocytes are the most abundant cells in bone and are also the most sensitive to such fluid flow caused by mechanical loading.[7] Upon sensing a load, osteocytes regulate bone remodeling by signaling to other cells with signaling molecules or direct contact.[10] Additionally, osteoprogenitor cells, which may differentiate into osteoblasts or osteoclasts, are also mechanosensors and may differentiate one way or another depending on the loading condition.[10]

Computational models suggest that mechanical feedback loops can stably regulate bone remodeling by reorienting trabeculae in the direction of the mechanical loads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff%27s_law

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on June 20, 2019, 03:36:11 PM

it kind of sort of does, but only under much higher force then looking down. Attachment points for tendons can get bigger from repeated strenuous use (like English longbowman have some easily recognizable skeletons)

Ok I am talking about growing weird bones and things like that not subtle attachment points for tendons. I know you can tell tons of stuff from examining a skeleton.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on June 20, 2019, 01:36:27 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2019, 12:22:08 PM

Maybe you should sacrifice a virgin.  Wait, do you even have any of those in Texas?

They do not.   :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?