What was your biggest pop culture disappointment?

Started by Savonarola, June 19, 2019, 12:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: katmai on June 22, 2019, 07:48:16 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 22, 2019, 07:25:32 AM
Quote from: katmai on June 22, 2019, 01:52:14 AM
We have no admins anymore. :P

Someone could leave a message for Vm in the general issues pinned thread about this, as he often reads that one and responds in good order.
I'm just teasing mongers, i talk to Moldy on Facebook, that's how Saladin got back in, and we've set it up for Lucidor to come back as well.

:cool:

Thanks, Vm and you guys do a good job.

Interesting that old timers are returning.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on June 22, 2019, 03:10:36 AM
I think it's a great movie, but tastes are like assholes and all that...

Have you read the books?

celedhring

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2019, 03:33:21 PM
Maybe not the biggest, but it was big, and it's a good story...

It's 1995 in Winnipeg.  The Manitoba Theatre Company has a special showing of Shakespeare's Hamlet, starring... Keanu Reeves!  Now Keanu must have agreed to this at least a year in advance, when he was a B-list movie star known for Bill and Ted, or maybe Bram Stoker's Dracula, but in 1994 a little movie called Speed came out which propelled him to super-stardom.  But he was a good sport, honoured his contract, and came to Winnipeg.

So I get a ticket, sit down to watch... and he was terrible.  I mean, in a few actions scenes he did very well (he is an action star after all), but To Be or Not To Be was wooden as could be.  I recall he just kind of stood there and said it in an almost monotone.

So there we go - big movie star bombs in local theatre show.  Except of course he didn't bomb - by strength of Keanu himself every show was sold out, and went for big bucks through scalpers.

Hamlet:  Get thee to a nunnery... woah!  Farewell

That does sound like "I Hate Hamlet"; life imitates art.

Edit:  Minus the ghost of John Barrymore, of course.  Obviously the ghost of Buster Keaton gives Keanu acting advice: Now, no matter what, never show emotion.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on June 22, 2019, 02:34:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 19, 2019, 03:33:21 PM
Maybe not the biggest, but it was big, and it's a good story...

It's 1995 in Winnipeg.  The Manitoba Theatre Company has a special showing of Shakespeare's Hamlet, starring... Keanu Reeves!  Now Keanu must have agreed to this at least a year in advance, when he was a B-list movie star known for Bill and Ted, or maybe Bram Stoker's Dracula, but in 1994 a little movie called Speed came out which propelled him to super-stardom.  But he was a good sport, honoured his contract, and came to Winnipeg.

So I get a ticket, sit down to watch... and he was terrible.  I mean, in a few actions scenes he did very well (he is an action star after all), but To Be or Not To Be was wooden as could be.  I recall he just kind of stood there and said it in an almost monotone.

So there we go - big movie star bombs in local theatre show.  Except of course he didn't bomb - by strength of Keanu himself every show was sold out, and went for big bucks through scalpers.

Hamlet:  Get thee to a nunnery... woah!  Farewell

That does sound like "I Hate Hamlet"; life imitates art.

Edit:  Minus the ghost of John Barrymore, of course.  Obviously the ghost of Buster Keaton gives Keanu acting advice: Now, no matter what, never show emotion.

Time for you to discover Keanu's Québecker accent in Youngblood. :) Great goalie.