Israel slams Germany for 'dishonest rewriting' of Anne Frank's legacy

Started by Syt, June 14, 2019, 03:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

QuoteISRAEL SLAMS GERMAN FM FOR 'DISHONEST REWRITING' OF ANNE FRANK'S LEGACY

Germany's Foreign Ministry celebrated Iran's revolution in February at Tehran's embassy in Berlin.

Emmanuel Nahshon, the spokesman for Israel's Foreign Ministry, issued a powerful statement against German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas for failing to internalize the lessons of the Holocaust by misrepresenting Anne Frank's legacy. 

Nahshon, one of Israel's most seasoned diplomats, wrote on Twitter: "Anne Frank's diary is NOT a warning about wishy-washy pseudo universal values! Anne Frank's legacy is a warning against the hatred and persecution of JEWS. The attempt to 'universalize the lessons of the Shoah [Holocaust] is nothing less than a dishonest rewriting of history."

Nahshon's tweet on Wednesday was a response to a tweet by the German Foreign Ministry that was written in honor of what would have been Anne Frank's 90th birthday. "Foreign Minister Heiko Maas: #AnneFrank would have turned 90 today," the ministry wrote. "Her diary is more relevant than ever before as a warning against discrimination, marginalization and persecution and as a symbol of humanity. We can learn from her."

Nahshon has served as the deputy chief of mission to Israel's embassy in Germany and will be Israel's next ambassador to Belgium.

Maas just returned from Iran this week after meeting with the regime's leaders, including Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif. Maas, who said he went into politics "because of Auschwitz," is working on jump starting a financial mechanism to bypass US sanctions against the clerical regime in Tehran.

Iran is considered by antisemitism experts to be the leading international state-sponsor of Holocaust denial and antisemitism. The US state department classifies the Islamic Republic of Iran as the top state-sponsor of terrorism.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, the associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, told The Jerusalem Post: "Why such desperation by Germany to save serial liar genocide wannabe tyrants in Tehran? Time to use peaceful sanctions to stand up to tyrants and stand up for people of Iran."

Maas's Foreign Ministry celebrated Iran's revolution in February at Tehran's embassy in Berlin. Maas's undersecretary of state Niels Annes has said Germany will not outlaw all of Hezbollah, the chief proxy for Iran's regime. Hezbollah has 1,050 operatives in Germany, according to German intelligence report from the Lower Saxony.

Germany's federal economics minister Peter Altmaier also tweeted about Frank: "Anne Frank could still be alive today, could have children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. But she was cheated of her youth, life and old age, friends and sorrows through  the murder and extermination of the Jews[.] Your lasting legacy: Never again! and: Nip things in the bud!"

Altmaier has energetically worked to boost business with Iran's regime and refused to answer Post queries about his pro-Iranian regime business policies and how that meshes with Germany's policy to safeguard Israel's security and combat antisemitism. Merkel told Israel's Knesset in 2008 that Israel's security is "non-negotiable" for her administration.

Germany's foreign minister Heiko Maas did not immediately respond to a Post query.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Who would have guessed that the current crazed government of Israel would act crazy about a child's diary?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I haven't read the diary. Maybe it has crazed rants, I wouldn't know.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

I've read a variation on the diary.  I don't know how faithful it was to the original, but it was surprisingly explicit.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on June 14, 2019, 08:48:32 AM
I've read a variation on the diary.  I don't know how faithful it was to the original, but it was surprisingly explicit.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Syt on June 14, 2019, 03:59:32 AM
QuoteISRAEL SLAMS GERMAN FM FOR 'DISHONEST REWRITING' OF ANNE FRANK'S LEGACY

Germany's Foreign Ministry celebrated Iran's revolution in February at Tehran's embassy in Berlin.

Emmanuel Nahshon, the spokesman for Israel's Foreign Ministry, issued a powerful statement against German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas for failing to internalize the lessons of the Holocaust by misrepresenting Anne Frank's legacy. 

Nahshon, one of Israel's most seasoned diplomats, wrote on Twitter: "Anne Frank’s diary is NOT a warning about wishy-washy pseudo universal values! Anne Frank’s legacy is a warning against the hatred and persecution of JEWS. The attempt to 'universalize the lessons of the Shoah [Holocaust] is nothing less than a dishonest rewriting of history."

Nahshon's tweet on Wednesday was a response to a tweet by the German Foreign Ministry that was written in honor of what would have been Anne Frank's 90th birthday. "Foreign Minister Heiko Maas: #AnneFrank would have turned 90 today," the ministry wrote. "Her diary is more relevant than ever before as a warning against discrimination, marginalization and persecution and as a symbol of humanity. We can learn from her."

Nahshon has served as the deputy chief of mission to Israel's embassy in Germany and will be Israel's next ambassador to Belgium.

Maas just returned from Iran this week after meeting with the regime's leaders, including Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif. Maas, who said he went into politics "because of Auschwitz," is working on jump starting a financial mechanism to bypass US sanctions against the clerical regime in Tehran.

Iran is considered by antisemitism experts to be the leading international state-sponsor of Holocaust denial and antisemitism. The US state department classifies the Islamic Republic of Iran as the top state-sponsor of terrorism.

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, the associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, told The Jerusalem Post: "Why such desperation by Germany to save serial liar genocide wannabe tyrants in Tehran? Time to use peaceful sanctions to stand up to tyrants and stand up for people of Iran."

Maas's Foreign Ministry celebrated Iran's revolution in February at Tehran's embassy in Berlin. Maas's undersecretary of state Niels Annes has said Germany will not outlaw all of Hezbollah, the chief proxy for Iran's regime. Hezbollah has 1,050 operatives in Germany, according to German intelligence report from the Lower Saxony.

Germany's federal economics minister Peter Altmaier also tweeted about Frank: "Anne Frank could still be alive today, could have children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. But she was cheated of her youth, life and old age, friends and sorrows through  the murder and extermination of the Jews[.] Your lasting legacy: Never again! and: Nip things in the bud!"

Altmaier has energetically worked to boost business with Iran's regime and refused to answer Post queries about his pro-Iranian regime business policies and how that meshes with Germany's policy to safeguard Israel's security and combat antisemitism. Merkel told Israel's Knesset in 2008 that Israel's security is "non-negotiable" for her administration.

Germany's foreign minister Heiko Maas did not immediately respond to a Post query.

I think cozying up to the Iranian regime is pretty despicable, but Nashon's comments seem to come perilously close to implying that persecution of minorities and genocide is OK as long as it's not directed at Jews.

The Minsky Moment

The German diplos tweets about Anne Frank have nothing to do with Iran; raising the Iran policy is a non sequitur.

There is nothing "wishy-washy" or "pseudo" about universal values.  That kind of sentiment was shared by the people perscuting Anne Frank.  Recognition of universal human rights is part of Israel's constitution (Basic Law).  It's a disgraceful statement for an Israeli diplomat to make, or any diplomat for that matter.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Ancient Demon

Israel should start choosing their diplomats more carefully.

That being said, I don't understand why Germany has such a pressing need to increase trade with Iran that they'd risk upsetting their allies.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2019, 02:56:30 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2019, 02:10:02 PM
So, nobody died in the Holocaust but Jews?

Not the way I understand the word, no.

I guess trying to exterminate gay people or the handicapped is ok.

0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2019, 03:04:46 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2019, 02:56:30 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2019, 02:10:02 PM
So, nobody died in the Holocaust but Jews?

Not the way I understand the word, no.

I guess trying to exterminate gay people or the handicapped is ok.

Because they don't have a catchy word associated with their genocide?

My understanding of the Holocaust is that it refers to the mass murder of Jews by the Nazis in the WW2 era. The Nazis did a lot more stuff, but AFAIK that stuff isn't part of the Holocaust.

Berkut

My understanding of the Holocaust is that it was the program by the Nazi's to exterminate undesireables, most of which were Jews, but not exclusively so.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

In my understanding the Holocaust includes gays, gypsies, etc.

Shoah might be Jew-specific, but I'm not sure.