News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Prime Minister BoJo It Is.

Started by mongers, June 13, 2019, 07:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Iormlund on July 29, 2019, 12:46:56 PM
Quite frankly, I don't think it's in anyone's interest to do so. It is quite clear that the UK has been torn asunder and a new GE is not going to change that reality.

Depends on how the next GE goes.  If it returns the same Parliament then yes.   But I don't think anyone can predict what comes out of this turmoil.  The EU doesn't lose much by seeing what happens.  If a remain parliament is elected then the whole nightmare gets unwound.

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on July 29, 2019, 12:39:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2019, 12:20:57 PM
... this Parliament has already given a very clear indication that a no deal Brexit is not acceptable and so I am not sure why you think it cannot be stopped.  All that is required is non confidence vote to bring down this government before that happens.

But a no confidence vote would just trigger a general election. Who asks the EU for an extension if the interim PM doesn't want to?

There have been talks of activating the Queen :ph34r:
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2019, 12:39:53 PM
In those circumstances the EU would have to do it unilaterally.   It is really the only way out at this point.
The EU cannot do that. It states clearly in Article 50 TEU that the leaving member must agree. And while Britain's constitution may be flexible, the EU operates within the boundaries if its own constitutional treaties.

Quote3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on July 29, 2019, 10:16:52 PM
In those circumstances the EU would have to do it unilaterally.   It is really the only way out at this point.
The EU cannot do that. It states clearly in Article 50 TEU that the leaving member must agree. And while Britain's constitution may be flexible, the EU operates within the boundaries if its own constitutional treaties.

Quote3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

Then if the government falls and a writ is dropped for a new election there is an interesting constitutional question regarding who can speak for the UK to give that consent. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on July 29, 2019, 05:54:15 PM
There have been talks of activating the Queen :ph34r:

Need a 5 OPS card for that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2019, 02:15:37 PMIf a remain parliament is elected then the whole nightmare gets unwound.

How is that going to happen?  Aren't the Liberal Democrats the only solidly "remain" party?  I can't see them getting a majority.

garbon

Quote from: dps on July 30, 2019, 10:45:50 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2019, 02:15:37 PMIf a remain parliament is elected then the whole nightmare gets unwound.

How is that going to happen?  Aren't the Liberal Democrats the only solidly "remain" party?  I can't see them getting a majority.

Theoretically Labour will become a remain party at their party conference.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PJL

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 30, 2019, 12:04:30 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 29, 2019, 10:16:52 PM

Then if the government falls and a writ is dropped for a new election there is an interesting constitutional question regarding who can speak for the UK to give that consent.

Not really, in that case, it would always be the incumbent. Only when a new PM go to the Queen is there is a new government/  A more interesting scenario is if the VONC succeeds but there is no motion to a call a general election. In which case it goes to the opposition leader, then the leader of the next biggest party, etc to try and form a government, with a 14 day limit on trying to form a government. Then you get a general election called. But even then, it's still the incumbent that is the government.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on July 30, 2019, 10:45:50 AM

Corbyn stated late last week that Labour would campaign to remain.  As discussed above, even he has realized his dithering has been harmful to his party.  If the government falls it will be because of its Brexit strategy.  My resigned rather than face a vote of non confidence.  Boris does not have much time either.

Josquius

Everyone always forgets SNP and Plaid.
Not enough alone but they do hand a fair number of seats to a potential pro remain minority government
██████
██████
██████