News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Prime Minister BoJo It Is.

Started by mongers, June 13, 2019, 07:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

It should have started noting that it's Rees-Mogg the one putting forward those rules, it makes it so much more understandable.  :lol:

Zoupa

In many ways the UK is going to be more fucked up than the US, and way sooner.

Huh. Who would have thought.

mongers

Quote from: Zoupa on July 26, 2019, 08:01:17 PM

Indeed.

For one we don't have cast-iron written constitution for lash ourselves to during the coming storm.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

ulmont

The UK started this 5 months earlier than the US.  :contract:

Syt

BoJo receives a warm welcome in Scotland (video with sound at tweet):

https://twitter.com/i/status/1155868435760500737
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on July 26, 2019, 09:22:09 PM

Indeed.

For one we don't have cast-iron written constitution for lash ourselves to during the coming storm.

That will be a big benefit to you - Parliament can still stop Boris.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2019, 11:10:25 AM

Indeed.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2019, 11:15:48 AM

Indeed.

:huh:

Parliament doesn't work like your Senate.  There are already a number of Conservatives in open opposition to the current PM.  The current government has a very slim majority.  It is certainly possible for this government to be brought down and elections held.  If that occurs the EU could extend the date.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2019, 11:18:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2019, 11:15:48 AM

Indeed.

:huh:

Parliament doesn't work like your Senate.  There are already a number of Conservatives in open opposition to the current PM.  The current government has a very slim majority.  It is certainly possible for this government to be brought down and elections held.  If that occurs the EU could extend the date.

They've had a wide opportunity to do so in the past couple years and haven't done much of anything. As May pointed out, they make it clear what they don't want but never what they do.

Barring any sort of sign from them that they are happy to broadly accept the current deal, they can't avoid a no deal brexit unless the EU grants another extension. Bringing down Johnson's gov't (which seems hard given how much dithering labour is doing) can't prevent the fact that if they reach Oct 31 without agreeing to something or withdraw the legislation to leave, no deal is the default end.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2019, 11:38:08 AM
They've had a wide opportunity to do so in the past couple years and haven't done much of anything. As May pointed out, they make it clear what they don't want but never what they do.

Barring any sort of sign from them that they are happy to broadly accept the current deal, they can't avoid a no deal brexit unless the EU grants another extension. Bringing down Johnson's gov't (which seems hard given how much dithering labour is doing) can't prevent the fact that if they reach Oct 31 without agreeing to something or withdraw the legislation to leave, no deal is the default end.

Your first sentence is why I think there is some considerable hope.  This Parliament has already voted against a no deal Brexit.  In other words this Parliament has already given a very clear indication that a no deal Brexit is not acceptable and so I am not sure why you think it cannot be stopped.  All that is required is non confidence vote to bring down this government before that happens. The other hopeful sign is that Corbyn announced late last week that Labour would campaign on the remain side in the next election - that is a good signal to the Conservative dissidents that if the government is brought down the next Parliament can fix the mess after the elections.

Iormlund

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2019, 12:20:57 PM
... this Parliament has already given a very clear indication that a no deal Brexit is not acceptable and so I am not sure why you think it cannot be stopped.  All that is required is non confidence vote to bring down this government before that happens.

But a no confidence vote would just trigger a general election. Who asks the EU for an extension if the interim PM doesn't want to?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Iormlund on July 29, 2019, 12:39:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 29, 2019, 12:20:57 PM
... this Parliament has already given a very clear indication that a no deal Brexit is not acceptable and so I am not sure why you think it cannot be stopped.  All that is required is non confidence vote to bring down this government before that happens.

But a no confidence vote would just trigger a general election. Who asks the EU for an extension if the interim PM doesn't want to?

In those circumstances the EU would have to do it unilaterally.   It is really the only way out at this point.

Iormlund

Quite frankly, I don't think it's in anyone's interest to do so. It is quite clear that the UK has been torn asunder and a new GE is not going to change that reality.

Valmy

I mean does the EU really want to put up with a large bloc of MEPs embarrassing everybody with passive aggressive shenanigans for much longer? They have enough of those already.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

The UK doesn't need an extension. Time isn't the problem.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.