News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Prime Minister BoJo It Is.

Started by mongers, June 13, 2019, 07:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49107417

QuoteBoris Johnson has promised the "beginning of a new golden age", as he made his first Commons statement as PM.

Speaking to MPs, Mr Johnson said his government would throw itself into Brexit negotiations with energy, while Michael Gove would lead on no-deal planning as a "top priority".

He also said EU citizens living in the UK would have their rights protected.

But Downing Street was unable to confirm if there would be any new laws to underpin the commitment.

Tory MP Alberto Costa - who has campaigned for EU citizens' rights after Brexit - welcomed Mr Johnson's pledge, but said "the devil, as ever, is in the detail" and he would be "scrutinising how that guarantee comes forward".

Replying to his statement in the Commons, Jeremy Corbyn said people "do not trust" the new PM to deliver on his promises.

And Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has written to Mr Johnson to say it is "essential" her country has an alternative option to his Brexit plan.

The statement came after the first meeting of Mr Johnson's new cabinet, who he said had all committed to leaving the EU on or before 31 October, "no ifs, no buts".

New secretaries of state include former leadership contender Sajid Javid as chancellor, and leading Brexiteers, with Dominic Raab as foreign secretary and Priti Patel as home secretary.

More junior ministers are expected to be announced later, with further reshuffling on Friday.

Mr Johnson has also held his first calls with other foreign leaders - including Dutch PM Mark Rutte and Australian PM Scott Morrison - and is due to speak to the European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker later.

What did the PM say in his statement?

Much of Mr Johnson's statement focused on his plans for Brexit.

Despite emphasising the importance of preparing for no deal, the new prime minister said he would "much prefer" to leave the EU with an agreement, saying he would work "flat out to make it happen".

However, he told MPs the withdrawal agreement his predecessor, Theresa May, had negotiated with the EU was "unacceptable to this Parliament and to this country".

That plan was voted down three times by MPs, with one of the controversial parts being the Northern Ireland backstop - a mechanism to avoid physical checks on the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in case of a no-deal Brexit.

Mr Johnson has pledged to scrap this element of the plan, saying alternative arrangements to keep checks away from the border were "perfectly compatible" with the Good Friday Agreement - the peace agreement signed in 1998.

The EU's chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, said eliminating the backstop from the withdrawal agreement was "unacceptable", and after Mr Johnson's "rather combative speech", the bloc will have to "be ready for all scenarios"

The Labour leader said the country was "deeply worried the new prime minister overestimates himself".

Mr Corbyn added: "People do not trust this prime minister to make the right choices for the majority of the people in this country when he's also promising tax giveaways to the richest of big business - his own party's funders [a policy Mr Johnson proposed during the leadership campaign]".

Mr Corbyn also asked the PM to rule out "once and for all" the NHS would form part of a trade deal with the US, following comments made by President Donald Trump on his visit to the UK in June.

Mr Johnson said: "Under no circumstances would we agree to any free-trade deal that put the NHS on the table."

What did Mr Johnson tell Cabinet?

After a raft of resignations, sackings and appointments on Wednesday night, Mr Johnson addressed his cabinet for the first time as prime minister early on Thursday.

He told the cabinet they had "a momentous task ahead", as he repeated his commitment for the UK to leave the EU on 31 October - calling it "a pivotal moment in our country's history".

He said the new team respected the "depth and breadth of talent in our extraordinary party", who were "not going to wait until 31 October to get on with a fantastic new agenda for our country... delivering the priorities of the people".

Who is in cabinet?
The swift changeover of cabinets between the previous premiership and Mr Johnson's saw more than half of Theresa May's ministers - including leadership rival Jeremy Hunt - quit or be sacked.

Former Foreign Secretary Mr Hunt said he had been offered an alternative role but had turned it down, while leading Brexiteers Penny Mordaunt and Liam Fox were also replaced as defence secretary and international trade secretary respectively.

Other key appointments included:

Stephen Barclay: Brexit secretary (retains post)
Michael Gove: Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, and no-deal Brexit planning
Ben Wallace: Defence secretary
Liz Truss: International trade secretary
Matt Hancock: Health secretary (retains post)
Gavin Williamson: Education secretary
Nicky Morgan: Culture secretary
Andrea Leadsom: Business secretary
Amber Rudd: Work and pensions secretary (retains post)
Jacob Rees-Mogg: Leader of the Commons

The appointments have already faced criticism from the opposition, with the chair of the Labour Party, Ian Lavery, calling it "a cabinet of hard-line conservatives who will only represent the privileged few".

He comments were echoed by independent MP Nick Boles - who resigned the Conservative whip over Brexit - saying the "few elements remaining of the liberal one-nation Conservative style are neutered captives in this cabinet".

But the new Leader of the House, Mr Rees-Mogg, who led the pro-Brexit Tory European Research Group (ERG), denied there had been a "Leave" takeover of the cabinet.

"Boris is bringing the country together, the party together, through his cabinet appointments," he said.

The newly appointed Lib Dem leader, Jo Swinson, has tabled an early day motion expressing a lack of confidence in the prime minister - although such motions are rarely debated and generally used to draw attention to an issue.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

It is unbelievable that he and his il is left to go away with repeating "alternative arrangements" that of course do not exist and will not exist.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2019, 11:16:29 AM
It is unbelievable that he and his il is left to go away with repeating "alternative arrangements" that of course do not exist and will not exist.

Tamas, it's just right-wing populist bullshit, makes no sense, isn't suppose to, just 'designed' to appeal to an electorally crucial narrow section of the electorate.

I suggest you stop trying to listen to him, otherwise you'll end up with a heart attack.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Narrow? Y'all did vote "Leave", remember.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Yeah. Democracy is a bitch: you can't blame others.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

At least he mentioned the Good Friday Agreement.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 25, 2019, 11:49:36 AM

hardly in numbers that would justify a characterization as "Y'all" if I am understanding US slang correctly.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on July 25, 2019, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2019, 11:16:29 AM

Tamas, it's just right-wing populist bullshit, makes no sense, isn't suppose to, just 'designed' to appeal to an electorally crucial narrow section of the electorate.

I suggest you stop trying to listen to him, otherwise you'll end up with a heart attack.

Yes but why is the press letting him and other get away with it?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2019, 01:35:25 PM

hardly in numbers that would justify a characterization as "Y'all" if I am understanding US slang correctly.

Clearly you aren't.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

That article mostly reads to me that BoJo doesn't really intend to try at all to avoid No-Deal Brexit, sounds like he'll make noise about it but that his actual cabinet is primarily focusing on preparing for the mechanics No Deal Brexit, which I think reveal that is his real goal now. Having not followed the constitutional machinations closely, does No Deal Brexit happen automatically on 10/31? Or does Parliament still have to have some sort of affirmative vote before it occurs.

Tamas

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2019, 02:34:46 PM
That article mostly reads to me that BoJo doesn't really intend to try at all to avoid No-Deal Brexit, sounds like he'll make noise about it but that his actual cabinet is primarily focusing on preparing for the mechanics No Deal Brexit, which I think reveal that is his real goal now. Having not followed the constitutional machinations closely, does No Deal Brexit happen automatically on 10/31? Or does Parliament still have to have some sort of affirmative vote before it occurs.

Several journalists are betting on him gunning for no deal not because he wants it, but because Parliament will block it from happening, which will "force his hand" to call a general election.

HVC

at this point does it matter what parliament wants? I thought the EU was kicking them out at that deadline?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 25, 2019, 02:24:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2019, 01:35:25 PM

Clearly you aren't.

If you are going to use regional slang it is only polite to explain it to him -_-

Anyway it just means a plural you. If there is just one person then you say 'ya'.

How ya doin'?

vs.

How y'all doin?

But it is not really a contraction of "you all".
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2019, 02:44:11 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2019, 02:34:46 PM

Several journalists are betting on him gunning for no deal not because he wants it, but because Parliament will block it from happening, which will "force his hand" to call a general election.

With him being viewed disfavorably by 58% of the country already, how is a general election to his or his party's benefit?