News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Prime Minister BoJo It Is.

Started by mongers, June 13, 2019, 07:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Climate protesters momentarily block Johnson's motorcade to the palace. :rolleyes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Tamas

I feel sorry for the Queen. If BoJo doesn't screw up, he might be the last PM she ever appoints, considering her advanced age. What a low point to end a reign with.

Tamas

QuoteIt is time to unleash the productive power of the whole of the UK - the "awesome foursome" that is the whole of the UK.

QuoteNever mind the backstop - the buck stops here.

:bleeding:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2019, 09:49:29 AM
I feel sorry for the Queen. If BoJo doesn't screw up, he might be the last PM she ever appoints, considering her advanced age. What a low point to end a reign with.

Wouldn't it be worse if he does screw up?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2019, 09:49:29 AM

She is probably wondering why she is shaking hands with a shaved Orangutan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2019, 09:58:36 AM
QuoteIt is time to unleash the productive power of the whole of the UK - the "awesome foursome" that is the whole of the UK.

A line from the last episode of Years and Years comes to mind about the PM not actually saying anything that means anything.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2019, 12:50:15 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2019, 09:58:36 AM

A line from the last episode of Years and Years comes to mind about the PM not actually saying anything that means anything.

Pfft, the Boris BS charm offensive will disarm the Europeans over the next 99 days and lead to their surrender, pleading for the English to become their feudal overlords.  :bowler:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 13, 2019, 10:05:49 AM
Lord Patten, a senior conservative of the old school and the last governor of Hong Kong, had this to say on Johnson :

"In Italy, Corriere della Sera published an interview with the veteran Tory politician Chris Patten, who described the favourite to become Britain's next prime minister as "Trump's poodle: a liar who does not pay attention to the detail of reality, tells people what they want to hear and relies on their ignorance".

Patten said Johnson exemplified the "collapse of rationality, of the relationship between the facts and what we believe" in present-day politics. "What he is offering is impossible.""

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/13/mini-trump-across-the-channel-european-media-on-boris-johnson-as-british-pm

The Romans presumably thought things were bound to get better after Caracalla; I suspect that May was our Caracalla.

Worth quoting as this is so true of the 'man'

OttoVonBismarck

So it seems like Brexit, and no deal Brexit at that, is really going to happen. I've been proven wrong on a few fronts.

1. I had long believed that due to the obvious lack of ability for Parliament to come to a cohesive agreement about what form Brexit should take, some adult in leadership would have promulgated either a re-run of the referendum--now that the public has a clearer picture of what Brexit will look like, or at least some sort of process where the public got to actually weigh in again. That is clearly not going to happen, there was no "adult in the room" I guess. I remain deeply confused why the country that birthed the Westminster system chose to allow a referendum on EU membership in the first place, instead of vesting decisions to leave or stay with Parliament, the font of all real legislative power in the UK. Instead of the supposedly reasoned judgment of a deliberative legislative body, a decision of great importance was basically given over to a mob, easily swayed by deceptive advertising and the result was a narrow win for leave. Based on a couple percentage points in a plebiscite Britain is making a very momentous decision.

I really thought for a long time at some point they'd simply say "we need to give the entire idea a second look."

2. If that didn't happen, I assumed the Tories would never lead Britain into the abyss of a no deal Brexit, and assumed after all the posturing, May and her party would cobble together agreement on the proffered EU deal, pretend it was a victory, May resigns and the world moves on. Instead the party has given BoJo the keys and he's one a single track towards no deal Brexit with very little chance in my mind that anything else happens.

grumbler

It's pretty amazing that Parliament could vote down BoJo's current plan last march by 374-164, and now just allow him to do that anyway.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

The only thing they can do to avoid it is sack him and trigger a General Election, in which quite a few will lose their seats.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2019, 04:38:20 PM
It's pretty amazing that Parliament could vote down BoJo's current plan last march by 374-164, and now just allow him to do that anyway.

Parliament hasn't let him do anything.  This could be a very short stint for the current PM.  He could go down in a confidence vote.

mongers

I now think a no-deal Brexit is the most likely outcome, especially with him outside N010 nailing his colours to the mast (or as far as you can trust someone like him)

I'd like to think parliament could stop him and on the face of it you'd think the Tory remainers would vote for country over him at the crunch point.  But my fear is more labour MPs will vote leave, thinking of their careers/re-election than the number of Tories who will to bring down a Johnson government over it.