News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Prime Minister BoJo It Is.

Started by mongers, June 13, 2019, 07:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I see that rhyming slang dude says that "Every older person should die with dignity and respect" .

https://twitter.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1140327538775994368?s=20

Well it would free up housing for the younger folk. But, speaking for myself, I'd rather go on living a bit longer.

Syt

A member of the youth organization of the Christian Conservatives in Germany once called it "sozialverträgliches Frühableben", i.e. "socially benefitial early death."  :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

During last night's debate among the audience questions there was an imam whom the BBC invited, who called the candidates to repent over "islamophobia" in their party, which they sort of did.

Turns out the imam had some nice Tweets in his past, like endorsing the plan of solving the Israel/Palestine issue by relocating Israel to the US, and also this gem:

QuoteEvery Political figure on the Zionist's payroll is scaring the world about Corbyn. They don't like him. He seems best suited to tackle them!

Josquius

This is how the left tends to build connections to dodgy far right minority figures.
Amongst any oppressed group, amongst those fighting for equality you do get those who genuinely want equality.... But then you also get those who are tribalists for their particular group and only say they want equality as it lifts them up.
This isn't exclusive to religious minorities.
These days in particular you see a LOT of working class tribalists. People who if they were rich wouldn't give a toss about the plight of the poor. But because they themselves are poor....
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2019, 04:45:14 AM
During last night's debate among the audience questions there was an imam whom the BBC invited, who called the candidates to repent over "islamophobia" in their party, which they sort of did.

Turns out the imam had some nice Tweets in his past, like endorsing the plan of solving the Israel/Palestine issue by relocating Israel to the US, and also this gem:

QuoteEvery Political figure on the Zionist's payroll is scaring the world about Corbyn. They don't like him. He seems best suited to tackle them!

Well he has now been put on suspension by his job pending an investigation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 19, 2019, 04:55:34 AM
This is how the left tends to build connections to dodgy far right minority figures.
Amongst any oppressed group, amongst those fighting for equality you do get those who genuinely want equality.... But then you also get those who are tribalists for their particular group and only say they want equality as it lifts them up.
This isn't exclusive to religious minorities.
These days in particular you see a LOT of working class tribalists. People who if they were rich wouldn't give a toss about the plight of the poor. But because they themselves are poor....

True, and of course this doesn't invalidate rightful grievances or the need to fight discrimination. It does mean however that being a member of a discriminated group shouldn't by default give your word or opinion extra value.

mongers

The next round of voting due to take place this afternoon, 2-5 pm, I'd guess result again around 6pm.

Perhaps two are eliminated today?  :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

As horrible as it could be, at least it would be fair to have BoJo take responsibility for Brexit.

Tamas

The least insane guy has been deemed lacking in insanity and has been eliminated in today's round.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2019, 12:07:53 PM
The least insane guy has been deemed lacking in insanity and has been eliminated in today's round.

He might not be insane, but he should fire his barber.  :P

Grinning_Colossus

Stewart looks terrifyingly British. I'm surprised he didn't last longer.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2019, 12:07:53 PM

That's a good way of putting it.

Todays results for those who've not seen them:

QuoteFour men are left in the race to be next prime minister after Rory Stewart was knocked out.

The international development secretary was eliminated after coming last with 27 votes, 10 fewer than last time.

He said his warnings about a no-deal Brexit "probably proved to be truths people weren't quite ready to hear".

Boris Johnson topped the vote again with 143 votes, 17 more than last time. Jeremy Hunt came second, with 54, narrowly ahead of Michael Gove with 51.

Sajid Javid also made it into the next round with 38 votes, five more than in round two.

A fourth round of voting will take place on Thursday.

derspiess

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on June 19, 2019, 12:23:46 PM
Stewart looks terrifyingly British. I'm surprised he didn't last longer.

Yeah, I was gonna say-- proof you can't always just get by on your looks :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Javid only got 33 votes in this round, so he's out.

Now Hunt and Gove have to fight it out to see who stands against Johnson in the membership vote.

This afternoon's voting ends at 5.30 with results announced 6.15.

Tamas

Will one of the coke-snorting journalist candidates be replaced with a foreign secretary who could not had bothered to learn whether his own wife is Chinese or Japanese? Stay tuned as these giants battle it out!