Started by mongers, June 13, 2019, 07:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on June 13, 2019, 10:07:53 AM
Except May didn't leave behind splendid baths. :P

She opted for dance moves

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 13, 2019, 10:05:49 AM
Lord Patten, a senior conservative of the old school and the last governor of Hong Kong, had this to say on Johnson :

"In Italy, Corriere della Sera published an interview with the veteran Tory politician Chris Patten, who described the favourite to become Britain's next prime minister as "Trump's poodle: a liar who does not pay attention to the detail of reality, tells people what they want to hear and relies on their ignorance".

Patten said Johnson exemplified the "collapse of rationality, of the relationship between the facts and what we believe" in present-day politics. "What he is offering is impossible.""

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/13/mini-trump-across-the-channel-european-media-on-boris-johnson-as-british-pm

The Romans presumably thought things were bound to get better after Caracalla; I suspect that May was our Caracalla.

Caracalla's edict was extremely progressive back then. :)  :nerd:
Of course, it had an unintended effect on the legion manpower, which would cause lots of problems with Barbarian invasions.

Tamas

Johnson has a painfully obvious disregard of absolutely everything except his own career. I think much will depend on where that will fall.

For some reason the Tories, MPs and members alike eat up his bullshit. So, if we are lucky, he will absolutely disregard his earlier stance and BS through a superficiously changed Withdrawal Agreement, which would be a wonderful thing at this stage.

If we are not lucky, then he just won't care of what happens afterwards, and after failing to BS himself to superiority with the EU negotiators, he'll just No-Deal out.

I guess an important factor will be which is the path of least resistance from his point of view, and which one will let him stay in power longer.

Sure, he'd get a LOT of grief from his circles for signing the WA but nobody could actually get rid of him until 2022, and nothing would change in the country 'til then. Whereas a No-Deal chaos would mean a lot of work for him and a danger of being outsed due to outrage.

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2019, 09:23:42 AM
I know the hair styles are close enough,

:rolleyes:

Quotebut apart from that, why?

I've always liked Boris.  I've found myself agreeing with him a lot more often than not.  He'd be the first Tory PM since Major that I could enthusiastically support.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Of course, he is mini-Trump. I am SHOCKED you support him. SHOCKED I SAY!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

I'm not much of a Trump supporter, but go ahead and throbb away.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

Quote from: Berkut on June 13, 2019, 10:39:01 AM
Of course, he is mini-Trump. I am SHOCKED you support him. SHOCKED I SAY!

A literate Trump, though. When BoJo goes off the rails, he does it while quoting Homer or Kipling.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2019, 10:38:02 AM
I've always liked Boris.  I've found myself agreeing with him a lot more often than not.  He'd be the first Tory PM since Major that I could enthusiastically support.

Well good for you then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2019, 10:38:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2019, 09:23:42 AM
I know the hair styles are close enough,

:rolleyes:

Quotebut apart from that, why?

He's certainly an amusing fellow, which gives him a certain amount of good will.  Still not sure I'd actually support him.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on June 13, 2019, 09:31:47 AM
When 'the lulz' are more important than governing seriously...

To the Trumpeters, it is "whatever makes the liberals cry."   They aren't interested in governing, and generally don't think governing is even possible (and, given their favored candidates, they are correct with respect to themselves).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2019, 10:41:35 AM
I'm not much of a Trump supporter...

Sure, you're not.  I think everyone here believes that.

Not. Go ahead and keep denying it, but your every other action and word screams the truth:  you ARE a trump supporter.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

My favoured job for Boris is hosting the satirical news show Have I Got News For You. He would be quite good at that, possibly excellent. He is quite amusing after all. Unfortunately he is also an idle mendacious charlatan............which really should rule him out for the top political job.

Admiral Yi

I found Boris amusing when he was mayor of London.  In his latest incarnation he has been a total disaster.

The Brain

On the one hand he is completely incompetent and unsuited for office, on the other hand you don't want to ruin a great series. The UK has had its two worst PMs ever back to back, seems a waste not to go for three in a row.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.