News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Prime Minister BoJo It Is.

Started by mongers, June 13, 2019, 07:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Results just in from the Tory party leadership elections and he looks to have an unassailable lead, certainly will cruise through to the final two ballot and very likely to win the membership vote.

So assuming he walks, what can we expect from the intellectual titan as he leads the British people to those unlit uplands?

Your predictions please.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Seems premature / we all know it'll just continue to be a muddle until the wire.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on June 13, 2019, 07:14:49 AM

Your predictions please.

No deal exit. Chaos. Wah wah waaaaaaaaaah!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

If only. I mean, yes that's how this will inevitably end up, but first the second round of voting on Tuesday (why hurry?) Then I guess the third one a week later (why hurry?). Until eventually two remains, so they can be put up for vote by the 100k membership (why hurry?).

Seeing Johnson's lead however, I hope after Tuesday everyone else will give up in exhcange of some cabinet position, or having their cousin's company winning a lucrative No Deal-preparation contract or something. Then the process of Boris replaying May's three years in office could begin.

At least Leadsom is out, though. Ghastly woman.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2019, 08:13:49 AM
If only. I mean, yes that's how this will inevitably end up, but first the second round of voting on Tuesday (why hurry?) Then I guess the third one a week later (why hurry?). Until eventually two remains, so they can be put up for vote by the 100k membership (why hurry?).

No I think all subsequent rounds, until two remain, will be next week. Then a final vote a few weeks later.

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2019, 07:59:39 AM
:punk:

I know the hair styles are close enough, but apart from that, why?

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2019, 09:23:42 AM

He want to see the UK go down the shitter faster than the US is with Trump.

The right-wing feel the need for company as they bring the walls down around us.

Habbaku

When 'the lulz' are more important than governing seriously...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Richard Hakluyt

I guess we will now never know who Mark Harper was  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2019, 09:23:42 AM

They say Misery loves company
We could start a company
And make Misery
Frustrated, Incorporated...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Richard Hakluyt

Lord Patten, a senior conservative of the old school and the last governor of Hong Kong, had this to say on Johnson :

"In Italy, Corriere della Sera published an interview with the veteran Tory politician Chris Patten, who described the favourite to become Britain's next prime minister as "Trump's poodle: a liar who does not pay attention to the detail of reality, tells people what they want to hear and relies on their ignorance".

Patten said Johnson exemplified the "collapse of rationality, of the relationship between the facts and what we believe" in present-day politics. "What he is offering is impossible.""

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/13/mini-trump-across-the-channel-european-media-on-boris-johnson-as-british-pm

The Romans presumably thought things were bound to get better after Caracalla; I suspect that May was our Caracalla.

Syt

Except May didn't leave behind splendid baths. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.